1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tape Wound Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by WooleyBooger, Feb 27, 2018.

1. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger

Sep 8, 2015
    I have several basses and all of them have D'addario tape wounds on them. I have never tried any other brand of tape wounds. I was wondering if there are any other strings out there that have the same feel as the D'addario tape wounds (smooth feel, light tension) but with more brightness similar to round wound nickel strings? I have read reviews that say the Labella white nylon strings have a brighter sound, but I have also read that tape wound strings are pretty much all very similar in sound.

Before I spend the $30-50 on a new set of strings that I may not notice any real difference in, I thought I'd ask here for opinions. Thanks

2. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I prefer the feel of labella white nylon to the other Brand. It is hard for me to say if they are brighter. The feel is so superior it made me think everything was better with them. I only play them on a Fretless, but would consider using them as my primary string.

3. I think all of the LaBella White Nylon sets are brighter than every one else's offerings. The copper white being bright, gold white being brighter, and the regular whites being brightest.

4. According to LaBella the gold whites are their brightest tapewound offering.

5. That is not my experience. In their descriptions on the LaBella website, it just says the Gold whites are brighter than the copper whites, and that the regular whites are brighter than the black nylon, not that the gold white is brighter than the regular white. The Golden alloy is more mellow than stainless steel, being that the string is less ferrous. The white nylon is just a regular stainless round wound with a nylon wrap.
    La Bella Strings
    La Bella Strings
    La Bella Strings

BigBenH18 likes this.
  6. True that. My bad.

7. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I've only used the Fender black nylon tapewounds. I love them in certain situations, but they're nasaly sounding. and of course the (non) grounding issues