1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tapered Low B advice...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dreads311, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Hello! I'm new to tapered low B strings and am never sure which sets to buy or if they are any good. Help me find the right strings! I would love to hear what you like to play on and why. I play 34" scale, medium gauge (.045-.135) and go for warmth and punch. I play in a pop/rock band, and all I'm all fingerstyle. Proud owner of a custom shop Warwick Thumb NT 5 Brodneck.

2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    First what I'd do is contact a Warwick dealer and see if you can get an extra string saddle for your bridge. Tell them you want the one that goes under the G string. Use that "narrower" string saddle on your tapered B string, and it will allow for a little better intonation on the B string than the regular saddle and string will (I've done this on my Corvette Std). Keep the other one around, in case you switch back.

EDIT: This is merely an option. You can easily use a tapered B with the regular wide saddle on the Warwick bridge, but as someone that regularly finds himself around the 10th fret on the B, having the better intonation that the narrower saddle provides is extremely useful.

Secondly, I've used GHS Progressives on my Corvette Std 5 and Streamer LX 6 Broadneck with great results. Punchy strings that are very articulate, but retain a warmth to them. The E and B strings are both "saddle huggers" (may actually be exposed core, or what GHS refers to it as). The clarity up the neck on the B and E strings are very good.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I have yet to hear one good reason for using a tapered B.

5. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    I'm normally a TI flats guy, but I recently put a set of Sadowsky Blue .45 - .130T on my Coda 5. Absolutely love the sound of these strings. The Nickel gives a warmer tone than the Stainless, and the aren't as "rough" feeling to me as over roundwound strings.

6. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    Without modification, some of the Warwick bridges will only fit a tapered B.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Bridges like the stock bridges on Brubaker Brutes and Carvin's SB series, as well as Hipshot B style bridges do not have slots wide enough to work well with anything over a .125 B string. I was able to get a .130 in with a screwdriver and hammer, but Tapered B strings fix that issue.

8. subscribed!

9. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I normally take a pair of pliers and give a regular B string a good squeeze before putting them on my Warwicks. I do prefer the taper though, if only for the convenience.

10. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    dreads311,

If you are interested in something like this, please let me know and I would be glad to point you in the right direction. Thanks!

11. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Many tapered B strings will work in regular B string saddles...

You wouldn't need a saddle with a G string sized slot unless it is an exposed core string or an exposed core with a fine wrap winding around the core...

12. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    With a tapered string, it hits on the Warwick bridge at a spot where you have to have the B (or E) saddle raised quite a bit higher than you would if you swapped it out with a G saddle. It's an easy workaround that has resulted in better intonation on the B string on my Warwicks, as compared to using the stock, wider string saddle.

You don't HAVE to do this, but I recommend it because it works better.

13. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    This is the case with any bridge and a tapered string (Tapered saddle sits higher).... I thought you were talking about for the size of the slot.

Sorry :D

14. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    True enough. Warwick bridges luckily have an option (which I wasn't clear that it was an option in my initial post) to remedy that, if you want to spend the $5 (I think) for an extra saddle.

15. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    The same reason they use them on pianos. Sound better, work better.

IMHO YMMV

16. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    The main reasoning behind a tapered-B, AFAIK - they have a better break-angle and can achieve a more precise intonation. Thanks!

17. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    +.5
    I love the tone of a tapered B. They sound piano-like and is clear as a bell. The difference in performance between bass and piano comes into play when you fret the string. With tapered, (IMHO, IME) there seem to be more intonation compromises than with strings having a consistent mass throughout the length of the string. I could not get satisfactory B and E string intonation on my old modulus with LaBella super steps without significant compromises. Maybe it was just that brand, idunno???

18. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    They actually intonate.

19. miketallica315

miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I use tapered B strings on all of my five string basses. For me, when I fist used a tapered B from a non-tapered B, it added so much tone, punch, and sustain. It also helped eliminate much of the floppy farty B string sounds. I use La Bella Hard Rockin' Steels, though they aren't called that anymore. I think they are just called Stainless Steels. La Bella claims to have the best B string in the business, I cannot, in my opinion, yet prove them wrong. If you are interested in checking out a set, check out samash.com. They have them there for a really affordable price.

20. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I tried Chromes on my '87 Peavey Dyna 5, but the B string was too big at the ball end to fit through the Schaller bridge, even with the silk removed. I tried a couple of other brands too. A tapered B fits with no problem. I've used Sadowsky flats and Blue nickel rounds, and both fit and sound great.

There is your one good reason.