1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tapered strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by b-monkey, Jul 22, 2004.

1. i recently played a fender jazz V and i was wondering about the srtings. a few m illimetres after the break point on the bridge the srtings went from being very thin (like at the headstock of the bass) to being normal thickness. is this what a taperd string is? who makes these? also do they effect the sound of the string? i would think they would but really have no idea.... thanks for any help!

EDIT: do they feel or play any differently than normal strings?

2. Fender 8150 SuperAlloy have tapered ends. The Taper is so the bass will intonate easier from what I understand. I believe DR has tapered ends on one set.

3. Yes, those are taper wound strings. There are a few companies who make these string. GHS, LaBella, Rotosound, Fender, Status and Dean Markley 2002.

Here's a photo showing the difference in string types/wraps.

[​IMG]

IMHO, I feel the taper wound string sits more firm in the bridge saddle (of most basses) and helps with the stability or tightness of the string. I prefer the taper B string on my Fender 5 string, it sounds the most solid for that bass, to my ears.

I also have a Sadowsky V5 but I prefer the Thomastik-Infeld Power Bass series for that bass, they just sound more solid for that bass to me.

http://www.thomastik-infeld.net/start/

POWER BASS SERIES

Price List & Ordering Info

If you have the finances, try several different string brands and gauges until you find what feels/sounds the best for you!

Good Luck!

See attachments for more info!

[​IMG]
    Treena