Tapewound in D# with distorsion, does it make sense!?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Astaziel, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Sup guys, bass newbie here!

I started playing bass a few months ago, owning a yamaha TRBX174 (I prefer to get better before starting to invest more money).

So right now I am thinking about changing my strings (pretty sure it's roundwounds) to tapewounds, because I heard that they are very smooth to the touch, eliminating calluses on my fingers, and also because of the clear and « pure » sound.

Thing is, I am also a metalhead, and I wish to try playing with distortions eventually, and I recently found the epicness of drop D BUT, I am also thinking of picking a lighter gauge because I have a very hard time pressing the strings with all of my fingers, severely limiting my agility.

IN SHORT: light tapewounds with distortion tuned in drop d; am I spouting nonsense!?

Ps: I am sorry for the long post, But I am afraid to waste my money on something that won’t work!

2. Btw English is not my native language so I apologise if I made a few errors!

3. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    In terms of tone I think with some distortion or overdrive you could make it work, I have used flats with heavy overdrive and they sounded brutal, however without overdrive tapes are generally pretty mellow sounding, also tapewounds in D will be very low tension (unless you use rotos that have more tension than most), in short I would say that if money is a consideration then you may be better off with a set of groundwounds or pressurewounds which should sound more like rounds (apart frm Daddario which im told are pretty dead sounding)

4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    A few things:

- lighter gauges won’t be so good for downtuning. You may end up with a very flappy low string.
    - that said, you CAN do it and you might be perfectly happy with it.
    - apart from Steve Harris, flatwounds are an unusual choice for heavy metal, being generally “deader” sounding with less sustain, and a much more old fashioned sound. Have you listened to Youtube clips of basses with flats?
    - if you stick at it, you’ll get used to the rough feel of rounds :)

saabfender likes this.
  5. WOW, thank you guys for the responses!

Alright with a bit of more research I modified my future setup: regular tapewound in D# for regular playing, and if I want to rock my brain into oblivion I will throw in an overdrive pedal.

Also yes I watched tons of video about flatwounds and that’s why I am curious in the first place.

Anyway, thanks again for the awesome responses :)

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022