Tascam Bass Trainer...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Michael Henson, Oct 24, 2005.

1. What are your thoughts on this? I've heard that when you use these the sound ends up being really bad. Is this truly the case? I'm looking at getting one for my bday and don't want to waste the $150 if it isn't going to work like it should.
  2. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I've had mine for about 6 months now. It's indespensible for me. I've had no problems with mine at all. I have no problems recommending it to others. ;)

Good luck and have fun! :bassist:
  3. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I picked one up about a month ago and the loop function and headphone jack alone were worth the $150 to me.

No more having to hit the rewind button over and over to learn a particular part of a bass line and no more wife complaining about the bass reverberating through the house when I only have my amps volume on ONE.

In general, I think the bass trainer sounds just fine for its purpose. I certainly don't agree that it sounds "bad". It has a decent EQ and some effects but I don't even bother with them very much.

Actually, if you try to slow a song down to LESS than half speed it can start sounding bad but I tend to use the loop function to learn a bass part as opposed to the variable speed function.

I highly recommend the Bass Trainer to any bass player that plays covers and wants to utilize their time more efficiently.
  4. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Yeah, I use mine the same way. I don't use the EQ or effects at all, but the loop function is awesome for learning covers. I also use the CD Bass Cut all the time once I know a song to play along without being able to hear the original bass line (it's still there, but way in teh background when Cut is enabled). I use the CD Bass boost occasionally, but not that often. ;)
  5. millard

Jul 27, 2004
    Another bump for the bass trainer. Sounds just fine for what you need it to do. In my "studio", it is the piece of gear that is closest to where I sit and the headphones remain almost permanently connected..

If there is an issue I could point out, it is that there is not a gain control for the bass input (on the original model, don't know about the newer one) so if you have a passive bass, you may need to turn your bass all the way up and the CD volume down a bit to make sure you can hear both. Don't get me wrong, it does not interfere with the successful use of the product at all, but it is the one thing they could have done better IMO. If you have any pedal that will do a simple gain (Boss EQ, MXR Micro-Amp, actually, just about any pedal that will let you defeat the "effect" but still use the level control), you can completely overcome this issue. Before anyone jumps in, yes, I know there is an active/passive switch and yes, it is in the correct position.

6. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    The MKII version has a Gain Control for the bass now. ;)
  7. I couldn't stand the poor sound quality when compared to what I was used to (Cafe Walter headphone amp).

When you start slowing the music down it does sound bad, it gets "warbly". Also, I didn't care for the sound of my bass, it was very thin and unnatural sounding. There are better alternatives, but for that you pay a higher price with less portability.