1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Taylor Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mgriffith, Aug 31, 2008.

1. mgriffith

mgriffith

Aug 8, 2008
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a practice amp, and saw a basic amp from Taylor that had a 12 inch EVA speaker in it. It was gently used, and looks about 10-15 years old.

No frills - 5 band EQ, bass, treble, mid-range knobs, and a master volume/gain knob.

I did not have the time to take it for a test drive ;), but it seems solid and is in my price range ($175).

Anyone have any experience with Taylor amps they can share?

I'm used to playing from a big SWR rack for our band practices, but for home use, I need someting much smaller, portable, and quieter.

Thanks, all!

:bassist:

2. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Maybe Traynor?

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  4. mgriffith

mgriffith

Aug 8, 2008
    The senior moments are coming more and more often... :meh:

Yes, Traynor was the name.

I have never heard of them. I've only used Peavey, Sunn, and now SWR amps in the past.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Traynor/Yorkville is a very good budget brand. Not the best amps ever made, but certainly not the worst by a longshot, and very reasonably priced. I've rented a Yorkie in the past when my main amp crapped out, and I was quite happy with the job it did.

6. kingpin2512

kingpin2512

Aug 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I got a Traynor a few weeks back. It hasn't let me down yet and sounds good. If you can test it out first ,but if you can't i still say get it.

7. mgriffith

mgriffith

Aug 8, 2008
    I tried to find what model it is on-line last night, but came up empty. The more I looked, the more it seemed to me that the amp is of the late 1970's to late 1980's range, which is cool by me.

I might squeeze some time out of my lunchbreak tomorrow to test it out.

Thanks for the replies, all!

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    There are many old Traynors that aren't on that website. I'd say, if it works and you can get it for a good price, buy it. Traynors are very dependable amps. The old tube ones are going for a lot of money around here and I live 50 miles from where they're made. I just saw one of their 50 watt tube heads a guy is trying to sell for $700. I doubt that the one you're looking at is a tube model, but at least it'll make a decent practice amp. I have a new Yorkville 50 watt combo for teaching and at home practice and it's a great little amp. It'll probably last me 20 years--in fact it'll probably outlast me.

Check out the Traynor Club thread. Lots of interesting stuff about Traynor and Yorkville amps.

I think every Canadian bassist has played a Traynor or Yorkville at some point in their career. They're as Canadian as Tim Hortons coffee and donuts.

Edit to add--I don't recall any Traynor that came with an EV 12" speaker. It could have been put in by a previous owner. It might be a guitar amp. Anyhow, check it out and let us know all about it.

9. mgriffith

mgriffith

Aug 8, 2008
    I tried out the Traynor amp today. It is a TS-60B combo. I could not find any pics on the 'net to post/link to to show you.

Anyhow, the thing weighs a ton (I need something a little lighter to move around the house), and the Gain pot crackles terribly. The guy at the shop winced each time I turned the dial, as if to say "I really should have cleaned this up before trying to sell it".

The rest of the dials and the EQ pegs work great.

The boost switch seemed to do nothing, and I used to have an amp waaay back when and the boost was like an overdrive on that one.

I don't think I'll go for this one. $175 seems a bit high a price, and I don't like to dicker.

The same store had two Marshall combos in the same price range (MB 15 and MB 30) and a Hartke (B200) that, while offering a lot less wattage, are new as opposed to used, lighter, and more portable.

I love the older gear, and believe in using something until it can no longer be used ("Vintage" is a term sonme folks use ;) ), but if I can get something new that may suit my needs better for the same money, I'm probably apt to go for the new.

Thanks for the input all.

10. mgriffith

mgriffith

Aug 8, 2008
    Good ol' Tim Hortons!! I miss them, since I don't get Up North anymore. (Used to go to Peterborough, Ont about twice a year to visit friends.)

There was a plastic EV logo on the speaker area, and you can see the EV logo on the speaker through the grille.

The amp is solid, for sure, but I'm just frustrated when stores put stuff - used or new - out on the floor without cleaning it up, checking it out, making sure it is "just right" before trying to sell it.

I expect when I go looking for a used car at a dealership, they'll have given it a once-over, cleaned it out, etc. before it is allowed to be test-driven. I expect the same when it comes to musical gear, even though it (ususually) costs less than a car.

If I were going out to some guy's house in answer to an ad in the paper, I could easily see and ignore things like dirty pots, a seemingly broken switch, or bad set-up on a bass. In that situation, if the price seemed too high, I'd be more inclined to haggle.

But I expect more from a store.

Maybe I'm just being too picky?

Seems like a cool combo, though.

It would do well for small bars, quiet to mid-loud practices, etc.

11. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I agree. You're the one who has to live with what you buy.

It probably could have been made right cheaply and easily but I would have bartered, myself. However, someone will buy it and get a lot of use out of it.

There will be other good deals to come.

12. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Don't blame ya. With the plethora of light, loud, toneful amps we have today it should be easy to find something that works for you AND your back.