Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TB tech support question

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by secretdonkey, Dec 1, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Curious about something... for the second time now, once recently and once awhile back, I've PMed a member and not received a reply. Using the message tracking feature, I've noticed the message to be absent from either the 'pending' section or the 'delivered/read' section. What does this indicate? My only guess is that my PMs were deleted without having been read.

I need to know whether I need to place a chip on my shoulder in matters concerning a couple of our brethren...

:cool:

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

1. They were afraid you might be contagious.
    2. Your hypno-ass avatar convinced them you were a cult leader.
    3. Nobody likes you because you're from Texas.
    4. You're puurrrfect spelling and grammar turns people off.
    5. They truly wonder about your choice of user name.
    6. They think you are a troll.
    7. They think you are actually Ed Fuqua waiting to strike.
    8. Mabe you didn't actually HIT the send button.
    9. Maybe they are just shallow, and refuse enlightenment.
    10. Maybe you are shallow and they have been enlightened.
    11. Maybe the PM smells like Catfish.
    12. Maybe something more pungent that donkeys are noted for.
    13. Or maybe, they saw that PIC you posed of yourself on the funny pics thread!
      [/list=1]

That would explain it!
      :p :D

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Maybe try emailing them as well. I've had times where a PM went unanswered for a while, then out of the blue comes a reply that usually reads "sorry Pete, I don't check my PM's often. Use email instead."

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    bug report

Pete, what you said wouldn't work, because they would still show up under message tracking under the not read section

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks all! Smash has PM, even if he won't know it by this post!

I sent two PMs, one with a title instructing him to delete it without reading - hopefully that may solve the mystery.

That should be 'your' rather than 'you're,' of course!

...and I think you may be onto something with #11 there. Which reminds me, I've been meaning to ask you something, Thor... Frank Zappa once said, "There are three things that smell like fish. One of these... is fish." I thought you might know what the other two are...???

:D

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What happened to your ass?

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Just on a little vacation, I suppose...

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i know you haven' sent me anything..

(if you happen to be in town, i'm at Swig's - Fri and Sat - since i know that you and Snore won't be there, i'll be sure to get all f*&^ed up and act like him)

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I thought that maybe you were on a diet.

10. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Smash:
    Both messages have disappeared from message tracking. So apparently, when a message recipient deletes your PM, it disappears from your message tracking page, regardless if it's been read or not. Seems like normal and reasonable behavior for the message tracking function -- and now I understand how it works. Guess that two rude members (who deleted PMs immediately, without responding) out of all that I've had occasion to PM isn't a terribly bad ratio!

Thanks for the help, Smash! :cool:

Oh, I and re: secretdonkey.com -- I own the domain primarily for email's sake. I haven't linked things from the home page because the content, like this and this - hasn't been updated in awhile.

Embellisher:
    I think all of my literal and figurative 'asses' are destined to keep coming back despite my best efforts, so I guess I'll just have to be at peace with that! :D

NJL:
    If you promise to do the gig as a Thor impersonator, I'll cancel my gigs this weekend and head to San Antonio in a heartbeat! :eek:

11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

He won't be able to fit into my high heels, he ate too many tacos when he was younger and his feet got too big. And have you seen him in a dress? :eek: Some girls should shave!

So now you know that that supercilious TB member ignored your insignificant little PM's, ( wasn't me, by the way), can we take bets on who it was?

Or does that violate our forum sewage agreement?

I'm sure it wasn't a moderator. Maybe it was someone who thinks he is a moderator, but may not be. Someone who likes to argue. Someone with paranoid schizophrenic tendencies that likes to correct other peoples grammar, naw, it can't be, Chris PutzFeral? Naw, he already is a mod!

12. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ah, looks like I took the bait, hook line and sinker. ;)

And your answer to my other question really required me to put on my jazz discharge party hat. Or maybe it was my thinking cap... one or the other.

Actually, the first person to snub me is a moderator. We had a bit of a disagreement in OT and when the thread got killed (vindicating me), I sent him a 'no hard feelings' PM. I guess he had hard feelings.

The other person to snub me actually fits your description to a 'T' :

But I suppose Mr. Poopy Pants doesn't *owe* me any courtesies, so I'll take my dignity out for a nice chocolate malt and it'll be all better...