TC Electronic BQ 500 and lightweight bass cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basura_armatura, Aug 28, 2019.

1. basura_armatura

basura_armatura

Nov 27, 2018
    Hi there!

I'm looking for some lightweight cab for my bass head TC BQ 500 (500w @ 4 Ohm). I'm thinking about Eden ex 112 (300w), Fender Rumble 2x8 (250w) or Trace Elliot bassbox 110 (300w). All of these cabs are @ 8 Ohm, so I believe I can get a half of strength from my bass head paired with them.
    Is there anyone here who tried some of these combinations? Do you have other suggestions for me? I can afford something around 350$...

And just one more question. :) Do you think that 250w bass cab is enough for small to medium gigs as a stage monitor (we play pop/rock/disco/funk, nothing too heavy...)? We will also have a PA support on every gig.

Thank you all!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  2. onestone

onestone

Jan 18, 2013
    The TC BQ's are great lighweight amps. I've used the 250 and 500 at home with two Ampeg SVT-210 cabs and i really like the sound. With PA support you might just get away with one cab, depending on how loud your band is of course. Personally i would rather take the two cab setup for what you described. Always good to have a little overhead IMO.

3. bpmben

bpmben

Jan 13, 2018
    Hertfordshire UK
    Yes - I’ve got a BQ500 and any of those will be loud enough as a monitor (since you’re going through the PA too), particularly if you can point it at your ears. Personally I like to use a TC K-210 with mine vertically (when going through the PA) so it doesn’t take up too much room and is a bit nearer my ears.

wintremute and basura_armatura like this.
  4. dralionux

dralionux

Feb 3, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    With PA support, my 100w Fender Rumble 100 v3 is loud enough as a stage monitor.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    basura_armatura likes this.
  5. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I would recommend (2) of these Trace Elliott Elf 2X8 cabs. I own one and pair it with a TC BC208 and they sound great together as well. PSX_20190817_202016.jpg mini_rig_live.jpg

6. dralionux

dralionux

Feb 3, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Why you didn't recommend two (2) TC BC208 cabs

7. basura_armatura

basura_armatura

Nov 27, 2018
    That's nice, but I'm really trying to downsize my gear as much as possible. :) That's why I need just one cab (as a stage monitor) wich is capable to hold 250w. I guess that TC BQ 500 with cab @ 8ohm can produce half of its strength (500w at 4 Ohm and 250w at 8 Ohm). One 8 Ohm cab bellow 250w isn't enough and I'm afraid it can be damaged.

8. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    The Elf 2x8 can handle 250 watts no problem. You would be surprised how full it sounds as well. The only reason I suggested a 2nd 2x8 is because they only weigh about 20 lbs each.

9. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Because I have yet to try them together. I've been very busy the past 2 weeks. I'm hoping to try them sometime this week.

wintremute and dralionux like this.
  10. basura_armatura

basura_armatura

Nov 27, 2018
    That's right, I see now it can handle 400w. But unfortunately it's out of my price range... ;)

dralionux likes this.
  11. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Remember that half of the wattage equals a decrease of only 3dB in actual sound. 3dB is generally accepted to be “barely noticeable”.

When people add an additional 8 ohm cabinet to an existing 8 ohm cabinet to get a 4 ohm load, most of the real-world advantage is due to doubling the speaker cone displacement, not doubling the wattage.

12. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
  13. basura_armatura

basura_armatura

Nov 27, 2018
  14. dralionux

dralionux

Feb 3, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Fender Rumble 2X8 Cab

15. Gregy

Gregy

Sep 21, 2017
    I love my CX210 together with BQ500, sounds awesome.

16. Hi Im Juan

Hi Im Juan

Mar 16, 2021
    Hi friend! Does the CX210 hold up well in a small venue?

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021