1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tc electronics polytune - good for db?

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by unobasso, Jan 20, 2012.

1. unobasso

unobasso

Apr 16, 2006
    k/w, ontario
    I gather the TC Electronics Polytune pedal works reasonably well for electric basses; the caveat being you can't strum all your strings and have it register each string.

Has anybody tried it with double bass? Found any glitches or problems?

gb

2. unobasso

unobasso

Apr 16, 2006
    k/w, ontario
    Alright - I guess nobody here uses a polytune pedal...

Does anybody here use any kind of pedal tuner - boss tu-2 or 3, korg pitchblack...

gb

3. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    I've used a Boss TU 2 in the past. One bass (Shen SB80) had either a Fishman Full Circle or a K and K Bassmax, and the other (Romanian flatback) has a Rice Audio pickup. All worked well- but I found the Snark clip on tuner- I forget the model, its the one that is chromatic and marketed to "guitar, bass and violin" players. Clips on to the bridge, easy to see, tracks well.

One less cable to worry about! :)

Joe

4. Bolstadt

Bolstadt

Mar 3, 2012
    Yes, I´m using that tuner on my Upright with Wilson pickups.
    Works pretty well! Accurate and easy to see the screen. But the function that allows you to tune all strings at once is pretty useless when on stage with a couple of thousand screaming fans in front of you.

It also has a demonic pop-sound when i turn it on/off, but i´ve found that problem with most tuner that has no true bypass switch.

Sorted that problem with the Sadowsky Preamp/DI stomp, wich has mute and tuner out.

5. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    True bypass tuners are useless with upright bass. Loud pop sound when you turn them on/off.

6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Look further here & elsewhere; you'll find complaints about the Polytune. I use a Pitchblack. Works well. No issues.

7. dkimbrobass

dkimbrobass Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    I mix a lot on a radio-broadcast concert series. The Korg Pitchblack is without a doubt the noisiest pedal-tuner I've come across. They seem to really hate the "onespot" power supplies (lots of ground-noise, but then, as far as power supplies go, the onespot is cheap, and they sound cheap). Many times a huge "pop" occurs when you click the on/off switch. I will say that our stage/broadcast is very...closely monitored, so you may not hear these issues in a club or some other venue with a higher noise-floor. Also, maybe this was just an issue with older/well-used models, but I wouldn't recommend them. I like the BOSS TU series just fine for my electric and upright. I really like the sweep mode for daytime/festival stages; I feel like it's easier to see than just the two l3 leds for sharp, flat, in tune. I've heard that many acoustic instruments have issues with the Polytune...there are more overtones, or at least they're more overtones amplified with an acoustic/piezo rig than there are with any magnetic rig (electric or acoustic). But then, that might be complete BS. My theory...

8. My vote for the Polytune.

I've been using it for about 2 years now and it has always worked perfectly. It's faster than the Pitchblack to track down the pitch you are playing so I even use it to practice intonation.
    On stage it's really convenient to tune fast without bothering anyone.

I recommend it.

9. +1 for polytune I love mine. Slab and upright.