1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TC Flashback delay vs. Flashback 2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ric426, Sep 27, 2017.

1. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I'm shopping around for a delay and I've narrowed my choices down to a TC Flashback or Flashback2 (or a used SA Nemesis if I come across a used one I can afford). I'm more likely to go with a new Flashback and all things being equal, I'd go for the Flashback2. However, I can get a new Flashback for $99, while the Flashback2 is $169.

To those who are familiar with both, in your opinion, are the new features useful enough to be worth the extra $70? I know that to a lot of people, $70 isn't that big of a deal, but I need to stretch my dollars as far as I can.

I know there are a lot of people with recommendations other than the Flashback or Nemesis, but I'm intrigued with the parameter editing capabilities of both and the price range of the Flashbacks.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  2. Jakeman

Jakeman Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    I use the regular Flashback and love it - definitely planning on getting the v2 soon, though. I think the three toneprint slots and expression feature make it worth the upgrade. If I was in your situation, I'd go for the 2 - however I'm waiting for one to show up in the classifieds.

ric426 likes this.
  3. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Yeah, I looked at both Flashbacks last week and opted to go with the $99 version. I couldn't foresee how the extra tone print slots would benefit me given how I'm using delay. In fact, I was originally going to get the Flashback Mini but saw I could get the regular Flashback for the same price so I went with that instead, mostly because I can also use the looper.

4. radiophonic

radiophonic

May 9, 2013
    I have a flashback and I am definitely considering the 2 for the improved Tape algorithm, the Crystal (shimmer) replacing the largely superfluous Ping Pong and the additional toneprints. I use an EREC2 type as my standard delay, so that gives me the option of additionally running Tremolo and a through zero flanger all in one pedal. MASH, I'm less bothered about.

ric426 likes this.
  5. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I've had the FB2 for 2 months and it's a killer pedal. All settings are great for bass. The MASH function is sick. It's very sensitive and once you learn to control your pressure it does some really cool things depending on what you have MASH set for.

Going into oscillation without bending over to tweak knobs? Set as a gate to cut the trails? Controlling volume? Yeah..there's a lot you can do with the MASH function.

The Crystals setting replaced my Rainbow Machine, and you have 3 slots for Toneprints (stock #1 is killer on bass). I haven't messed with the tap tempo functions or the editor yet. It really works great as is!

ric426 likes this.
  6. radiophonic

radiophonic

May 9, 2013
    Actually, I hadn't thought about the MASH/Oscillation thing. That could be useful for me... although fiddling with your pedals has it's own charm in a live situation.

7. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I got a Flashback II last week and it's been a blast. I have barely scratched the surface of what it can do.

ric426 likes this.
  8. chumbo73

chumbo73

Nov 8, 2012
    I have a Flashback and I love it but I would go for FB2 with all the improved features.

ric426 likes this.
  9. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I should just do it right the first time and buy the new model. If the original one wasn't on sale it would have been a no-brainer.

Jakeman likes this.
  10. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm getting no output out of my #3 toneprint slot. What gives? I tried changing toneprints, nothing. Signal is getting to the pedal but that slot is like a mute.

11. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Well, Sweetwater decided to push me over the edge and sent me an email that they had a demo Flashback2 marked down. It should arrive tomorrow.

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  12. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Mine is the same. I only tried it once and kinda thought it was an empty slot - its actually a volume swell with a Crystals setting that you need to engage MASH to use. I forgot about it until I read your post. Scroll to the bottom on the link below and all the MASH functions with the stock settings are described.

Flashback 2 Delay | TC Electronic

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  13. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks @gustobassman. Reading product documentation and manuals is very underrated. :)