TC RH450 + TC cabs for metal ... loud enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jansenh, Jun 3, 2009.

1. jansenh

jansenh

Nov 22, 2005
    Stavanger
    Hi TB.

Will a TC RH450 with a mix of 2 or 3 TC 210/212 cabs be loud enough for metal?

I play straight forward metal, fighting off two guitars, each of which is using Mesa/ENGL through 4x12's. Today I use a SVT-CL and a SVT810. The amp's GAIN is usually cranked max for overdrive, and the MASTER is usually at 9 o'clock. My basses are ESP LTD active and Fender J and Ps.

We got this band gigging, and that fridge is a pain...

regards, Henning- Norway

2. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I can hear my stack (RS210 & RS 212) with the RS450 head--WAY better than a classic Ampeg set-up.
    Especially on gigs out-doors.
    What I like is that you can hear right in front of the stack.
    I always seemed to have to move to the side of an Ampeg to hear it.
    Very loud & clear.
    The head has a very nice sounding overdrive (tubetone) circuit that emulates the pre-amp tube sound as well as the power-amp section of a tube amp.
    I'm very impressed by this system...

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I think it could, but you do own the classic setup for metal, so I wouldn't sell it to get another rig. You may regret it in the future...some people really like the downsizing, but I went back to an SVT/810 at age 47 because you just can't get that sound anywhere else. Well OK, you can get that sound with a VT pedal, but not the feeling of power that only a tube amp can give you.

Not saying it can't work...I'm just saying don't rush into downsizing head first and sell all your heavy stuff right away.

4. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I'll agree with Jimmy that Ampeg fridges are great (and what everyone compares to).
    But....I'm as old as Jimmy (no hack intended).....and really appreciate the portability of this system.
    And---I still like the sound better (RH450) and can hear it better on-stage.

5. jansenh

jansenh

Nov 22, 2005
    Stavanger
    Point taken! :bassist: Thanx to both of you for comments.

regards, Henning

6. jansenh

jansenh

Nov 22, 2005
    Stavanger
    Hi TB.

I managed to borrow a RH450 with a 212 and 210 cabinet and took it to band practise. And yes, it IS loud enough. Clear, distinct sound, easier to hear myself than with the SVT-CL/810 I am used to. A round, full and rich sound, with the bassy bottom required for our band. At a not-to-high volume, the sound filled the room in a way I haven't experienced before.The DI is also sweet, I tested it through the mixerPA and liked it alot. Great gear to handle, set up and EQ.

I will keep this setup. We have a gig Friday August 28th at a fairly large venue. Looking foreward to trying it out in a live situation. Thinking of adding a second 210 cabinet for live situations, but on the other hand: last night at practise I had plenty of power reserve, so it might not be necessary.

Cheers, Henning - Norway

7. Nick-p

Nick-p Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2019
    i own the rh450. it simply is'nt loud enough to compete with my drummer [ heavy rock band. using it with a pair of tc RS210 cabs. vol on max and gain on as high as will allow. struggling also to get a fat bottom end. considering the RH750 as i like the amp features but i'm also worried that it will still not be loud enough. watts confuses me these days. in 1983 if i bought a 100w bass amp it could blow my windows out, these days, 450w is a kitten !

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021