1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TCE Flashback Pedal Only Works When Its Off

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Spectre1966, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Spectre1966

Spectre1966 Striving For Mediocrity Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    Geez...what a long week this has been.

Fired up my gear to practice and for some reason my TC Electonics Flashback has no output when I engage it. Light comes on as normal but no signal comes through it. Checked cables, moved power and tried power from another pedal (Im using a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus w/all switches in NORMAL). Even tried battery power but nothing. It passes the signal fine when its not being used and blocks everything when engaged.

Ticks me off as I rarely use this pedal and it appears their support is horrendous. I got it off EBay in mint condition a year ago so I guess now I have an expensive mute pedal or doorstop...not sure which yet. As I have 5 TCE pedals, Im wondering if I should start looking elsewhere.

Anyone else have issues like this with pedals?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I know this may not be something you feel the need to do, but have you tried a firmware update? Is it that new new MASH tech ones? Was it bought used but in minty condition you mean?

TC makes some really neat stuff but I can see things like this being a problem from time to time, the insides are all computer and digital stuff. Maybe it just needs an update.....

Spectre1966 likes this.
  3. Spectre1966

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    Thanks. Definitely worth a shot. I updated it a few months ago. No harm in trying again.
    I admit, I really like their pedals (though Im not really feeling the love for the Spectracomp yet). Hopefully this doesnt happen too often.

gregmon79 likes this.
  4. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I love my Spectracomp. But I can see why some aren't about it. I still need to dig into that bad boys editor.

Yeah I mean maybe the update you did is what did it. That's what sucks about pedals like these, at some points you just never know. Maybe try posting here? Bass (Page 1) — TC Electronic Forum

Spectre1966 likes this.
  5. veryvery

veryvery

May 23, 2016
    CA
    I have a TC Flashback X4 that I bought used from Reverb. When I bought it, the stereo output didn't work when the pedal was engaged--which I didn't really care about because I hardly use stereo, but I'd like it to work in case I want stereo and in case I want to sell the pedal. At one point I opened up the pedal to set the switch to "buffered bypass," and lo and behold the stereo now did work. I set it back to "true bypass" and now the stereo output works fine. I have no clue why. Long story short, the same issue--whatever it was--might not plague your pedal but who knows it might be worth a try?

Spectre1966 likes this.
  6. Spectre1966

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    I reloaded the firmware on it and now it seems to be working ok. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions:bassist:

veryvery, tfer and Lammchop93 like this.