Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Teachers in Chattanooga, TN?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by B8ssMan89, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Are there any good Double Bass teachers in Chattanooga or around the Chatt. area?
    Thanks,
    Jonathan

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    If your area has a Local Symphony Orchestra, start by asking there. That is your best bet to learn properly to play and about Basses as well.

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I'd a bet a nickel on what those pros would say about an Englehardt or Kay too!

4. we do havea local symphony, so I guess I'll start from there. thanks guys

5. Amastacatious

Amastacatious

Jul 20, 2005
    Eric Hansen is my teacher and he's really good. If you want his phone number and information e-mail me or something.

6. Yo im in the local youth symphony and i know a # of a good teacher. He's worked with several all-east basist (even my self don't know how i made it lol). He's more jazz geard though. But the bright side is he only charges 15$ a lesson. He's not as mutch of a specific finguring kindof guy but he is verry skilled on rithoms and knows what to do and how to do it. If you want his number just e-mail me at mcnaire2004@comcast.net

7. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Wow my teacher charges 50$!

8. Well he can aford to charge 15$ per lesson b/c he has severl "gigs" going on a week and he has about 5 lesson a day to students.

9. bierbass

bierbass

Sep 5, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Despite the common perception from people who live in Connecticut:rolleyes: , there are professional classically trained musicians working in Tennessee. Also I'd say that $15 a lesson is seriously below market. You probably should expect to pay $40 to $45 an hour for a lesson.

10. Alot of bass teachers i know here have their own "plans" based on how they live. Jay Stanfeild can charge 15$ a person b/c on how many he has. Another guy here charges 40 to get his services and 10$per half hour. Most guys here charge on average about 30$ a lesson.

11. GirlBass

GirlBass

Jul 31, 2005
    New York
    Mcnaire, your teacher is also mainly jazz minded, so it wouldn't really be ethical to charge you much more than $15 a lesson if you're studying to be a classical musician. So you get cheap lessons, but you really do get what you pay for.
    Here in LA, we pay $100/lesson, but it's absolutely worth every penny because the quality is so high, and I have things to work on and think about for years to come.

12. He charges every one 15$ a lesson. He teaches about 4 instruments. Jazz,classical, and march type music. He has had incredible success sending his students to college on scholarships for their instrument. He is a excellent teacher and I get way more than my moneys worth.

13. There are several classical oriented teachers in Chattanooga that charge between 10-25$.