1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Teachers in New Orleans?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Fractal20, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Fractal20

Fractal20

Feb 8, 2011
    I am moving to New Orleans this fall and I have a couple of questions concerning pursuing the double bass down south.

Mainly, I was hoping to get suggestions for a teacher. In terms of playing out I have only done jazz, but I enjoy classical and feel that it is best way to get technique and intonation etc. so I would like to continue taking classical lessons. I have taken lessons from a classical teacher in Seattle for the past 6 months. Having only done it for 6 months I am still fairly definitely a beginner. I am a French bow player and have been following the Nanny method, but I am certainly open to other methods. Would anybody have any suggestions for teachers?

Secondly, I have been borrowing a bass from my Uncle and it has seen better days. My past teacher kept telling me that I should get a different bass and my life would be a lot easier. My plan was simply to return my Uncle's bass and look for one in New Orleans, but I have found few basses for sale in NOLA via the internet. Craigslist has almost nothing and I can't even find a music store with double basses. Can anybody suggest where to look for a bass down there?

Thanks for your time!

2. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
  3. Curley Shadow

Curley Shadow

Oct 16, 2009
    Jim as above is a great player, not sure if he gives lessons. Another jazz guy is Bill Huntington, but am not sure if he still lives in NO. For classical there's David Anderson with NO Philharmonic or any of the section players. A very fine classical performer and teacher is in Baton Rouge at LSU, Yung Chiao Wei. To find a bass contact luthier Sal Giardina salvadorgiardina.com and there is also the bass place, abassplace.com bass place mostly sells Christophers and the like. Good luck.

4. Curley Shadow

Curley Shadow

Oct 16, 2009
    One more suggestion, see if you can get Don Vappie to teach you a little bit of New Orleans style jazz or at least go see him for an idea of the style. Don is great musician.

5. Fractal20

Fractal20

Feb 8, 2011
    Thanks Curly, I will look into all of your suggestions when I arrive in August.