1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TecAmp Puma500

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by KJung, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Hey guys! Hello from EB land!

I just received my new TecAmp Puma500. These just started to ship to the US from what I understand.

Here's a link to my preliminary review, which starts on post 69 of the thread. This head is about the size of the MB LMII, has a 1 Meg input impedance, and is about as flat and pure as anything I've ever heard.

Just FYI for you guys, since not much info on these yet.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464676

2. Was this really meant for the DB forum?

3. Um... yes. It is a small micro head with a 1 Meg ohms input that would be very appropriate for DB amplification. While I didn't think my exact review, which is EB oriented, would be worth posting over here, I thought a link to it might be interesting to DB players who are interested, and possibly unaware of, a new micro amp that seems voiced and featured very appropriately for DB.

One of the main complaints I read over here about some of these micro heads is an input impedance that is too low for optimal performance with non-buffered piezo pickups. This head, like the Walter Woods, has an input impedance and voicing that I think would be very interesting to those DBer's looking for lightweight, hi power, small size, and a reasonably transparent voicing.

If for some reason you don't agree, feel free to delete.

4. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    for me, as a german db-player, it was an interesting post (the company is from germany)

5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i also happened to notice that they have a really light 1x12 cabinet. that may be of more interest to the DB side. ( well, at least me, i already have a walter woods, so i'm not looking to upgrade) but that speaker looks interesting. any info on their speakers?
    (im a fan of german engineering in general)

6. The first shipment of these cabs is due in the US early next month. I have the 212 on order (40 pounds), and will put a link to my review from the EB side for you guys. I again realize that an EB is a different beast from a DB, but I try to at least put enough basic spec stuff in my review to provide some general info, and usually also spend some time with my piezo loaded Rob Allen, which is at least in the DB tone universe. So, hopefully at least some info you guys can use.

I had a WW Ultra that I used for many years, and the Puma line of heads, while fatter down low, does remind me a bit of the warm but clean tone of the WW. That suggests to me that the cabs might be a very good match. They sure are lightweight.

The only thing that concerns me is the tweeter attenuator. It seems the attenuator is a fixed level switch versus the variable tweeter controls on most cabs. I'm attempting to get more information concerning if you can turn the tweeter off or not (which sometimes is important with DB) and also the range of settings available. I find that there is usually a sweet spot on the tweeter setting for me, and the probability of a fixed level switch hitting that sweet spot is pretty low. EDIT: Just got confirmation that the tweeter control has 5 positions... so plenty of variability in that control... no problem.

7. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    This sounds like a really interesting choice for DB. I find my Glockenklang while not ideal to move around for DB gigs is the best sounding DB head I have ever used.

Ken's review puts the sound of this head very close to the Glock, at least from what I've read thus far.

As an AI user I can say it is very convenient and sounds decent but the Tech Puma is on my short list of amps to give a listen too.

8. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i sent an email to the us distributor bout 2 weeks ago asking for info on the 12 cabinet and got no response.

9. I've never waited more than an hour or two for a response. Rawn and Ed seem to be on top of it.

Try this email address:

Randall, Rawn
    E-mail Address(es):
    darkbass2003@mac.com

Fantastic stuff. I have a 4ohm S212 coming tomorrow.... 4 ohms, 16 by 17" footprint, and under 40 pounds (that's under 40 pounds for a TWO 12... amazing).

It looks like the only cabs available in the US are the 210, the 212 (8 or 4ohms), and the 112 Combo (at least that's all that is on the US distributor website).

I also understand that Glen at Austin Bass Traders is now carrying this line of gear.

10. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    once you try it post a review