1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech 21 DP-3X Malfunction? Haven't read any posts reporting this...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HeavyFingers, May 23, 2020 at 1:49 AM.

1. HeavyFingers

HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    Hey all,

I just got a Tech 21 DP-3X pedal at a great price from Amazon Warehouse (I was asking for it, right?). It was listed as "like new" and looked like it when I took it out of the packing. It came in the Tech 21 tin and everything. I was super excited to give it a go but I've come across some "issues" I haven't seen mentioned on the TB forums.

Signal chain:
    Bass -> DP-3X -> PreSonus audio interface -> headphones (also tested with headphones directly into the pedal)

Issues:
    -XLR hotter than 1/4":
    I know it's been mentioned that there is some sort of cab modeling on the XLR, but it is noticeably louder. The PreSonus has an input meter on the front which reflects this as well.

-Hotter on "clean" channel:
    Many people have commented that they didn't like the pedal because kicking on the mix created such a volume disparity. I have the opposite experience - when I turn off the mix it's the same as above, perceived higher volume and I can see it on the PreSonus.

-Clipping the pedal while in clean mode:
    If I turn one of the EQ knobs all the way up, I assume it's the pedal clipping. I did this last with the mids as the way up and even had the highs all the way down. It doesn't sound like the good distortion the pedal produces. It's that electronic almost farty kind of breakup.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    This is likely partly a difference between how the PreSonus, like most interfaces, treats the XLR input differently than the 1/4" input. XLR being mic level and 1/4" being line level. There's no reason to expect the same level if your simply swapping cables and not adjusting the input gain.

How hot is your bass' output?

- John

3. HeavyFingers

HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    Good to know. I actually had turned on the "line" option on the PreSonus because the signal coming from the pedal was clipping it (both XLR and 1/4").

The output on my bass is not hot at all. I have an older Ibanez SR1800, which I've been planning to replace the pre an on because of this. That said, the bad clipping sounds happen when the bass is in passive mode as well.

4. HeavyFingers

HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    @tech21nyc

Besides the XLR vs. 1/4" topic, do the other two items sound like a malfunctioning issue?

5. HeavyFingers

HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    Bumping to see if any owners of the DP-3X can replicate the clipping for me. I am able to replicate it consistently if I turn the mids knob all the way up on the pedal and play with a medium touch. If this is normal then that's fine. I just want to make sure I don't have a pedal in the process of dying.

Thanks!