1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tech 21 Sans Amp - Old vs. New

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Laurier Tiernan, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Laurier Tiernan

Laurier Tiernan

Aug 5, 2012
    Hi Guys,

I just started getting professional bass gigs last year after being a guitarist for ages, and I'd like to buy a Tech 21 Sans Amp. I don't want to waste my money though so I'd like to ask for everyone's opinion before I purchase one. I heard that the new ones don't hold a candle to the old ones. Is this true? Should I look for an old one on Ebay instead of buying a new one? If so, how can I tell that it's old enough to be one of the better sounding ones? Is there a serial number or something?

2. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    It depends what sound you're after. I'm not a big SansAmp booster, but I've gotten good tracks and live tones out of the original (w/ the mini DIP switches), RBIs, RPMs, and the VT and Leeds from the characters series.

To my ear, Sans Amps are prone to fizzy high end--less pronounced in the character pedals I've tried (esp. the VT), and even when using the older pedals and rack units you can generally dial in useful tones that minimize the fizz.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if you're talking specifically about the bass driver DI, the new one is pretty much the same (why mess with a classic?), but has line/instrument level switches for more routing flexibility.

4. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    The BDDI is not that great. Get a good DI box instead

5. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Not a fan of the VT pedal or BDDI, but I love my RPM.

6. Dantreige

Dantreige

Oct 22, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I use a PBBDI and think it is great. It's ok not to like it, but blanket statements without context are silly and not helpful in any way.

OP, try to pick one up through the classifieds here on TalkBass. You can save some cash and can resell it to a TB'er if you don't like what it does. Everyone is different and have different needs.

I don't know about any differences from old and new. I just know it works for me.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, sansamps rock! (literally, you might not dig it so much for jazz or gospel gigs.)

both as a bass player and as a bar/club soundguy, they just sound good in a rock band mix.

i use mine into whatever power amp i have lying around (currently a crest LT1500); who needs "bass amps"?

8. Laurier Tiernan

Laurier Tiernan

Aug 5, 2012
    Thank you very much for your feedback and advice, guys! :)