1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tech 21 sansamp DI question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brando, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Brando

Brando

Feb 18, 2009
    hope this is the right place to put this , but am curious on how to run this with my rig. ( short notice gig, their sansamp with my rig)

2 4x10 GKblx
    mackie pwr amp

2. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

Hey Brando

If it's the bass driver model, you can use it as just a DI - or a pre-amp / tone box and/or both.

It's a pretty cool item. I use one on smaller acoustic gigs with a Tech 21 powered bass speaker (Bass Engine 60) and you can also run a line from the box to a PA

try this link, it may give you more helpful info....

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/bassdriverdi.html

3. Brando

Brando

Feb 18, 2009
    do I want to run this out into the pwr amp?

4. I love this pedal.

Assuming it's the model with the output switchable between instrument and line, set it to line and plug into the power amp input. The older models without this switch don't have quite enough juice to drive a power amp effectively.

Be aware the controls are EXTREMELY effective (a small adjustment makes a big change) and interactive and it's easy to get an awful sound. I'd start with all the tone controls about 1 o'clock, the Drive OFF and the Blend all the way anti-clockwise. If you want a lot of mids, turn the Bass and Treble DOWN a bit and increase the Level.

From here, turn the Drive up a bit and turn the Blend clockwise a bit to see how these two controls work. Also try turning the Drive off (anti-clockwise) and the Blend fully clockwise.

These are just a few starting points but try to get some time to experiment a bit.

5. Brando

Brando

Feb 18, 2009
    thanx for all the info guys, under a little pressure here..40 tunes in 2 days, gig tonight, so i'll be dealing with this thing in "spurr of the moment"

thanx alot

6. (Their sansamp my rig) sounds like you have FOH, provided, and a FOH engineer.

He'll know how to run it. You can run it passive out to your rig, and it wont color your backline at all. Or it has a output to give your amp the tone enhancing sound.

But more importantly, you'll get a good sound to the P.A. board, from the D.I. output.

Post#4 follow his advice.
    No need to be pressured about the gear, its a snap to use, and if a sound man is there, Im assuming one will be there, he'll know how to get you "right" in the mix.
    Then again I may be wrong that you'll be provided with FOH and a soundman. Even so, its not hard to use.

7. Brando

Brando

Feb 18, 2009
    yes there will be an engineer on hand, what i'm spazzin about is they have a certain sound they want, i just wanna make sure i don't let 'em down,,thanx again guys

8. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    If they've worked with the FOH guy before, and if he's any good at all, he will know how to get the sound they want. You worry about nailing the songs and making sure your bass is in tip-top shape so you're sending a good clean, strong signal to the SansAmp. It sounds like this is a "pro" enough gig that other people will take care of the rest.

Oh yah, and have fun!

9. Brando

Brando

Feb 18, 2009
    just an update on this, everything went pretty smooth, I realy dig that little box

thanx again guys