1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tech 21Sansamp Bass Driver Deluxe vs VT version

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TezBass, Jul 7, 2016.

1. TezBass

TezBass

Jul 7, 2016
    London
    Hi everybody this is my first post so play nice please?

Now to my point...

I've been out of the scene for 9 years really (bedroom guitar legend...). I'm not looking to get back into playing in a band again and have also recently moved to London. When I was in Liverpool I (my parents) used to lug a Fender Rumble 100w combo (the original) from venue to venue. I'm now living in London and carless and don't fancy lugging that venue to venue. So I visited a few guitar stores with the view of buying a stack setup and then just taking the head of that to venues and using the venues cab.

Speaking to a few of the guys in store they said most London venues of small to moderate size always put Bass players directly into the PA and recommended the Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver Deluxe which looks like a great piece of kit as it will allow me a great tonal control no matter wether in PA or AMP. Doing some research I've stumbled across the VT version as well and people say this has a more "Ampeg" sound. But then speaking direct to Tech 21 they say both can reproduce "Ampeg" sounds it depends what type of sound you're after and as nowhere in London seems to stock these pedals there's no way to try before I buy so I'm seeking advice.

I'm hoping to be in a Pop Punk kind of band, I play other styles at home but this is the style of music I enjoy performing. Mark Hoppus of Blink isn't only my musical hero I also adore the clean punchy bass sound and would love to get the version of the pedal that got me closest to this.

Any advice at all is much appreciated. (Opinions on Blink 182 or Mark Hoppus not appreciated.)

Thanks in advance.

2. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    Our Deluxe series provide the ability to store and call up presets. If that's not something you need the Bass Driver DI or VT Bass DI would be more economical choices that offer the same tones.

It's really best if you can try for yourself. There are also numerous videos on our website and YouTube to refer to. Some people really like the Bass Driver for the ease of getting "that" sound. The VT Bass is good for getting a library of different Ampeg tones from Flip Top to really aggressive SVT style tones. The VT is more flexible in that regard.

Al Kraft likes this.
  3. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    ^^ Tech- I think it's awesome you're on this forum helping out explain your amazeballs products.

4. TezBass

TezBass

Jul 7, 2016
    London

Thank you so much for your reply Tech 21.

I'm asking about the Deluxe and the Deluxe VT. Not the DI.

So I'm asking for opinions on and what the difference is.

Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver Deluxe
    and
    Tech 21 SansAmp VT Bass Deluxe

I can't find anywhere in London that stocks them, I've watched every video and been through the Tech 21 site and exchanged e-mails with someone there but they didn't explain it very clearly.

I definitely want to go for the deluxe range because I love the what the 3x2 or 6 presets work and I feel the ability to switch between two basses may be handy down the line. I'm just struggling for which Deluxe to go for.

Thanks.

5. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
  6. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    Tech21 SansAmp VT Bass Deluxe Bass Amplifier Simulation Pedal | DV247

and two of these....

Go listen, I have an RBI, which, with a compressor is great for recording bass, an effected and clean output straight into a mixing desk. Never felt the need to get anything else.

I did try putting the RBI as a preamp for live but did n't like the sound of it, something to do with the speaker simulation I think.

I only ever use a clean bass guitar sound anyway so I would n't appreciate the benefit of a programmable pedal. That said though, I know the RBI can go from smooth to crunchy with loads of good useable tones..... if you are playing music that features changes in bass tones like metal then one of them could be just your thing.

Best way I have found to choose gear is just let your ear decide, have a day in Romford, easy to get to from London. The guys in the music shops will put a few models together and have a listen. Decide what works with your playing and which box has the tones that make you feel good :)

7. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    The comparisons I offered apply to both the single DI and Deluxe versions. The tones are the same. The Deluxe versions just have the ability to store and call up presets. On our SansAmp products the EQ controls are post amp and speaker emulation. The Bass Driver Deluxe has no midrange control. The VT Bass Deluxe has the Character control which simultaneously changes the tonal shape and the attack of the drive. It also has the addition of the Mid control whereas the Bass Driver has presence which controls top end but also changes the attack. To change midrange content on the Bass Driver you can do it by adjusting the Bass and Treble but you will not have as much control over the mids as you would with the VT Bass. If you feel you will need more control over the midrange for your sound the VT Bass will be a better choice.

Kevnn4 likes this.
  8. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Germany
    If you're in the UK, just order the bddi and vtdi (or the deluxes if those tickle your fancy) from Thomann and keep the one you like better (or return them both and get a used one, you won't have to look too hard). You can return any pedal within 30 days no questions asked as long as it's not damaged or missing any candy. They also stock the aguilar tone hammer and the two notes Le bass, both of which also have great reps. I've been doing this for the last 6 months with good success. Anyway, the vtdi is a good item.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016