1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tech question, peavey TNT 130 w/ BW speaker.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassguitarthund, Aug 4, 2012.

1. I have a Peavey amp that I keep at my parents place to use when I come down to visit. I bought it used and it was missing screws that keep the amp portion into the combo. Never got around to putting screws in it. Anyways I was down visiting for the weekend. Was going to play a little. No sound. Powers up but nothing. I can't slide the amp out of the combo due to these two blue , for lack of better word, tubes. They maybe some kind of capacitors. So ipulled the speaker out. Noticed the wires are hooked to the speaker end but I could pull the wires all the way down. I believe the wires came unhooked from the amp. There is no way to access the under side from the speaker hole. I don't see any other access points to get at the bottom of the amp. Not sure how to get the amp portion out or to hook the wires back up. No way to really get to the bottom of it. Any ideas? Any one.ever pull one of these apart before?

2. The head slides out, towards the rear I believe. It went in, it's gotta come out.

You may have to pull the metal corners off to get enough clearance to slide it out. Also you may have to take the screws off of the top handle, they may protrude down enough to catch the chassis.

3. undo the screws the hold the handle on. They catch on the chassis. BTY, the chassis is mounted upside down in the amp. The front, back and the base are all one sheet of metal, but the base is at the top. It sometime catches on the vinyl covering too. Give it a shake.

I don't think that the speaker leads would have come loose. I think that they are soldered on. In fact it will prevent you taking the amp away. from the cap.

4. Thank you all for your help!!!

Update: Pbassred was correct in that it was getting caught on the vinyl covering. It was missing the handle when I got the amp, so no issues with that. Anyways it is out now. The connector (not soldered) for the wires to the amp came on done at the circuit board. I am assuming that the head may have slid enough that it pulled it out. My dad or step mom had moved the amp and probably did not realize that it had happened. No big deal I can just plug it back in. However I am going to make a trip to the hardware store and get some screws now, lol!!! Thanks everyone for your help :)

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Just inspect the speaker wires and see they didn't get any insulation knicked off from being pinched and pulled on. Maybe wrap some black tape around them along the part that goes through the holes in the chassis and cabinet. Check the connector from getting pulled on too.

6. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    Ha, I had this EXACT problem happen to my BW equipped TKO 65. I couldn't get get my chassis all the way out, so I just halfway slid it out and plugged the speaker leads back in. When I bought mine the handle was missing too. Weird :D

7. Just in case anyone wants to see here are some pics I took while i had it apart. Since I can not get the connector to stay in place and noticed some of the other connectors are hot glued in place. I am thinking of just hot gluing it to the board. That way if I need to remove it I can just trim the glue back.

The connector for speaker that came unhooked from the board:
    IMAG0155.

The bottom two pins is where the connector hooks up. The one to the right is spread apart and connector will not stay in place. There are three pins total but the top one does not seem to hook to anything:

IMAG0156.

Next ones are just other pics I took while apart:

IMAG0150.

IMAG0153.

IMAG0154.

8. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I have a Combo 300 and have had the same issue with that speaker Molex connector, clean the pins and retension the pins or just solder the wire to the posts

9. You can very carefully spread those pins apart to get a firmer hold with the plug. Very carefully.