Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech question regarding independent inputs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kevinlee, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Can I make two independent inputs on an ahsdowon mag 250 head ? It has the standard high low insturment inputs and they are effected by one another if two sources are plugged in. I'm not looking for seperate eq capabilities. Like some of the swr amps have I believe. Is there a way to rewire the inputs to do this?

Thanks
    Kevinlee

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Sounds to me like you could use one of these or am I way off?

3. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I think with both sources going into the same input they will still be affected by each other. A.I if you turn the volume down on one it may affect the other source as well. I might be wrong though. I suppose it's worth a shot. I think I have one of those around here somewhere.

Kevinlee

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I dont think that it would be I could be wrong

5. Oh my goodness no!!!!

Those are made to split one output into 2, to run one guitar into multiple amps. Not to combine 2 outputs into one.

Merging two electrical signals by just connecting them together is bad. This is equivalent to plugging 2 power amps into the same speaker.

You won't get sparks and smoke because the guitar outputs are very low powered even if they have preamps. But they will affect each other, especially if you mix a passive and an active bass.

2 voltage sources merged directly causes bad things to happen, they fight miserably. You need a buffer of some resistors to seperate the two voltages, allowing them to merge gradually, gracefully, peacefully.

with the low power involved you're unlikely to actually burn something out on either guitar, but the results will be unpredictable tone wise.

Randy