1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech21 Q\Strip vs Radial PZ-Deluxe ?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Frank77, Jun 17, 2018.

1. I finally ordered and installed a KNA pickup on my upright bass about 2 months ago. It's funny, this pickup has the exact opposite problem I had with the Realist: This one is overly bright/honky. I briefly tried to install it on the bass side of the bridge instead, but it did not give good results (very low output), so I put it back on the treble side. I had some cash available from selling other stuff, so I ended getting a Q Strip after all, and now I think I have a very workable solution. After cutting quite a bit of high mids (see pic below), it sounds fairly natural now through my Bass Block + Changeling cab. It sounds better than the Realist did through my PJB Suitcase, for sure.

20181102_171509.jpg

2. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i have the exact opposite experience with the radial pz pre and pz deluxe. i get a really great sound out of it... i boost the low mids and cut the highs. i also boost the lows while engaging the high pass filter which i find super useful and depending on the room, i will use in on either of the 2 settings. ive used it for many years and im kinda known around here for having a good tone. i do acknowledge that if you take a traditional approach to eq you will get a honky sound out of it, but it has the tools to deliver a great sound.

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Very true, with one caveat. The AI heads sound wonderful with carved Double Basses, that have their own sound. Plywood instruments that don't have that distinct tone and sound, don't fair as well.
    There are instances where you need to color a sound with the EQ, and AI's really aren't designed to do that. So, occasionally you need an amp with a defined midrange to give those basses a little help.
    Just my take of course. The Grace Felix is similar that way, I can use it with my Mirecourt Bass, and get a beautiful tone and timbre. Not so much with a laminated instrument.

4. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Howell, Michigan
    I’ve been through about 50 preamps from $50-$700 dollars and recently went back to Aguilar Tonehammer 700 and 2 Aguilar SL112 cabs after hearing Patitucci.
    Straight in with my David Gage Lifeline and it’s a wrap

Zbysek likes this.
  5. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    IMO, parametric mid control is better for these purposes than graphic EQ.

I would recommend MXR M81 preamp. Semi-parametric mids, 2,2MOhm input impedance, clear-sounding.

Out of the two you listed, I would go for Q Strip because it features two semi-parametric controls for mids.

6. That's what I ended up doing (getting the Q/Strip - see post #21!), and it works quite well. Turns out it was an even better purchase then I thought, too : I've started using it for bass guitar as well. I'm using it for both silent practice at home (it replaced my VT Bass DI in that regard - the dirt circuit is nice but it gets in the way sometimes) and for recording with my band. With bass guitar I leave the EQ mostly flat - just using the LPF and HPF sends a nice tone to the mixer. I connect the parallel out to my amp's front end, and one of the outputs to the mixer and voilà! It's just a super convenient little box, I'm never leaving home without it!

Nunovsky and Zbysek like this.
  7. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Great! Sorry I missed you reporting about the end of the hunt...

8. No worries! :thumbsup:

Zbysek likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021