1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech21 VT settings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gonzo476, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    I recently bought the VT and would like to know how I need to set the controls to get THIS sound or at least close

I'm using a 15'' combo and a P bass

2. Turn the tone all the way up on your P-bass, pick at the bridge, turn your mids up just a tad, the character down a smidge, put the high and low at noon, and add a small helping of drive.

YMMV.

3. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Didn't get close with those settings :meh: but thanks for answering anyway;)
    any more suggestions?

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Just turn the knobs until it sounds close enough to your ears... there's not that many to play with. Other people here will have different gear to you so you're the best one to come up with the settings!

5. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    I know that's what I should do...but I got tired of tweaking nobs after two hours xD

6. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    That's what I would do, but with more bass boost, Character at 9-10:00, mids at noon or a bit higher. Drive around 10:00 maybe?

What kind of strings do you have? You won't get there without some newish grindy rounds like Rotos or Lo Riders, IMO.

7. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    I use Ernie Ball super slinky strings (45-100)

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    hmmm - that just sounds like a P-bass, with roundwounds, being picked really hard.

9. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    need more help with my VT settings! Now I'm after this sound

BTW I got close to the cranked SVT sound (thanks for all yor comments :D), but I find that the pedal's sound lacks something and doesn't quite achieve the exact same sound. Anyway, any idea of how I can get the new sound I'm looking for?

10. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    Chris Cain uses a sansamp as his amp, so this should be pretty accurate. He uses a thunderbird and picks near the neck. Other then that I don't know.

11. What do you know, someone asking "how do I get this tone" for a tone that's actually worth trying to get.

Anyway, I would suggest setting your character knob around 10:00-11:00, mids boosted a touch, bass pretty much flat, maybe a little boost, treble cut a little, and gain set around, say, 1:00, depending on how hot your bass is. Play with a pick, and maybe roll off the tone on your bass.