1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

technique building warmups etc

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Soverntear, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    hey all,

so ive been taking lessons from a fellow tber of late, and wow im so glad i did. my playing has improved 100 fold since taking lesson. long story short im moving in a bit *keeping same teacher* so ive only been practicing as follows.
    basic warmup of all combonations of 1234 on first 8 frets.
    bass isometrics till my hands cant take it,
    F,G and A major scales double octave.

that sums up my daily routine i kniw i can do songs and what not but right now im working on technique, 1 per fret, curling the fingers, lifting fingers only high enough to be off the string.... not floating in the middle of nowhere (had a bit issue with that) so basicly any other warmups you guys can think of anything that will help on technique?

2. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    If this is going well for you (ie you can do it a a decent tempo), have you tried combining it with string crossings?

So for instance,

1 (G#, G string) 2 (A, G string) 3 (F, D string) 4 (F#, D string)

Then move this up chromatically to 12th fret, then back down to the nut switching the order (e.g., first two notes on D string, next two on G string).

There are numerous combinations that you can do with this. including switching strings every note, using different string combinations, etc.

3. dulouz

dulouz

Dec 7, 2006
    I practice all twelve major scales around the cycle, starting on the same string on each scale. I do this on all five strings. I also play the scales in 3rds, and various note patterns. I vary the fingerings as well. I also vary the starting point in the cycle. Try starting at the top of a scale and go down, then up. All of this can be done with arpeggios as well.

You can also warm up with something fun like jamming to a easy and fun tune you like. That gets your mind where it needs to be, and gets the garbage out that doesn't need to be there.

4. Try learning some of the Hanon Piano Exercises, and play them slow at startup.

5. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    wicked thanks for the input guys, gonna put a couple in to motion tonight

6. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Scales and arpeggios in all 12 is the one ring to rule them all. I love Patitucci's advice- play above and below the octave- your G major scale should include a low F# and E on a 4 string. Music doesn't end at the octave...

To elaborate, every scale should start on the lowest note from that scale on your bass, and end on the highest.

Also, 3 and 4 note groupings, broken thirds, etc...

Mechanical exercises are yummy but if you want to speak the language of music, spend time on the grammar and vocab mentioned above.

Even better, work on learning songs! Technique is only a means to an end.