Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Techniques to learn?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by chips, Mar 28, 2005.

1. gday badgers.

ive been playing for a year and a half almost now and i wanna STEP-IT-UP!... i can slap fairly decently, and can finger and play with a pick. what are some other styles i can pick up? some that ive heard of are tapping, double thumbing? etc. can any1 tell me what these things are or give me a link to some lessons on them. also plz keep in mind im dnt know much about theory so anything sounding overly technical im just gonna go cross eyed :meh:

Peace,
    Chips :bassist:

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You may not want to hear this, but if you've just been playing a year and a half, you're probably much better off worrying about things like (1) time, (2) tone, (3) feel, (4) groove, (5) taste, (6) developing your ear, and (7) overall musicianship than about picking up another "trick" technique. If you can't play in time (and I'm not saying you can't) and aren't making sense musically and don't sound good, all the tapping, slapping, double-thumping, etc. in the world won't help you. They will just make people want to throw heavy, hard objects at you.:D

Seriously, I'm not saying those techniques aren't worth exploring or doing. I'm just saying, be careful of putting the cart before the horse. Think of it as like building a house. You get your foundation solid before you try to put the tiles on the roof.

3. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    Hey, I just learned to tap, but as none of the bassists I know use this technique, I have no idea how to EQ my bass to get a decent sound... any suggestions?

4. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    for a decent sound, just mess aroudn with the knobs ( lol)

But seriously, mess with the EQ one knob ( of there are knobs, could be those sliders ) at a time, to hear what that knob/slider does, after you know what the EQ can do, then you can find "your" sound.

5. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Respectable opinion. But some people are just naturals. They pick things up very very very quickly in certain areas. Practicing keeping time and developing the basics are well and good, but it's not fair to force someone to spend a year learning something when they've already long since mastered it. Just something to keep in mind.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Who said anything about forcing anybody to do anything? I made a suggestion, based on considerable experience, which the poster is free to accept or reject.

IMHO *no one* who's been playing 1.5 years has "long since" mastered time, feel, groove, tone, ear, taste, and musicianship. No, not even naturals. These are not things you get in your first year and then never have to worry about again. You keep working at them your whole life. They are fundamental to being a musician, and the sooner you start building your foundation, the better your opportunities for progress. IMO and IME of course. You can easily be a great musician without ever slapping a note, but it's pretty hard to be a good musician without time, feel, ear, and the rest.

7. Dell

Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    Ive been playing bass for 7 years and I've just started tapping. I really love this band called "the murder of rosa luxemburg" and they do a lot of tapping on guitars. I was playing along to their CD on my guitar and thought "I could do this on my bass"... Its fun.. especialy when you start using delays.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Unnecessary? :meh:

;)

9. hehehe, gay badgers :p that made me giggle for so long... man im immature. cheers for the replies folks. im looking into tapping. i also hear where u guys are coming from the keeping time and grooving. im always working on that. its just fun to try new things ;) i checked out that double thumping lesson aswell in another forum :eek: think i might wait for a while to try that.

Peace
    Chips :bassist:

10. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I have played for almost 1 and half year and i have tapped for about 1-2months, it's way fun!

I use it mostly when im making my own music, it gives me inspiration :cool:

11. Amen man....... i have been playing for a couple years now, and i don't really know many little "trick" playing things. I have fooled around with slap some and stuff, but i figure until i get pretty dang good at my normal playing stuff, there is not much of a point in learning little tricks. Musicianship is a discipline, not a thing you just pick up tricks for.