Terri Lyne Carrington

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Arjan, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    Ok, this is a bassforum, but yesterday I bought Herbie Hancocks Future2Future DVD. One of the musicians stunned me, it's Terri Lyne Carrington that just blew me away with her super grooving and perfect sounding drumming! It's a shame that I never heard of her before, I mist so much. She must be a bassplayers dream. I was allways into several drummers (Tim Alexander, Mike Clark, Tony Williams, Steve Gadd, to name a few) but she's the nr.1 for me now.
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    she's my favorite drummers.

garrison is one of my favorite bassplayers.

that DVD makes me cry
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    dj disk was cookin', too.

TLC has been around for awhile...she was giggin' when she was very, very young.
    I have her solo album from a few years back.
    Recently, she was in The Yellowjackets.
    IIRC, she was also in the Arsenio Hall Show band.

Anyway, agreed...she is rock solid on the Hancock DVD.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hell, you think TLC is good, you need to hear Sheila E on a kit!!
  5. Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    DWbass, I know Sheila E, and she is a great player. But I never have heard her play a groove as big as TLC does on Herbie Hancocks Future2Future. TLC just has an amazing "feel" and timing on this DVD.
    I know there are players like Dave Weckl who can do all those weird time signatures (TLC will probably be able to pull those of too) but playing with such a natural feel is rare.
    You must know that I was allways into drummers allthough I'm a bassplayer. But since I have seen her play I can't get those grooves out of my mind.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Funny you should mention TLC, just saw her play last week with Cassandra Wilson.

She started at Berklee when she was 11 :eek: She's been working with Herbie Hancock since 1998.

She's in demand in LA where she also does a lot of production work.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    She was the bandleader!!!
  8. Peter Dalla

Peter Dalla

Feb 2, 2004
    Brian - no that was the pianist, Michael Wolff. Michael and bassist John B. Williams (who can be heard to great effect on the BillY Cobham album CROSSWINDS) had been a trio (with drummer Roy McCurdy) behind Nancy Wilson. Both John and Michael seem to be livingh in New York City now, they appear with Michael's band around town pretty regularly.
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Sheila E was band leader for Magic Johnson's short lived talk show! Her brother was also in the band. Michael Wolff, John B. Williams and Starr Parodi were with Arsenio.
  10. I've seen Terri Lynn Carrington play twice, and I was very impressed, but at the same time, I thought her playing was a little bit too loud and busy for my tastes. This goes for both times I saw her. Still impressive, but there are plenty of other drummers who I prefer.
  11. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    that's funny, everytime i have seen her it was the exact opposite - she had groove, pocket and didn't over-play - didn't play that loud either.

12. That is funny. Don't know what to tell you. I saw her with Herbie Hancock, and again ealier this year at Berklee.
  13. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Saw her this fall with Herbie's quintet -- Mr. Scott Colley on DB too. See them if you can: It's modern melodic jazz at its finest.

I'll never forget it: They were backing up Donna Summer, and TLC was DIGGING IN HARD on the most Bb disco beat ever. Just like, "Damn, I don't like playing disco, but if I'm backing up Donna Summer I'm gonna play disco like nobody's business." A real lesson in how to approach commercial work musically.
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Very cool.
    One I won't forget was Madonna on SNL doin' a tune called "Fever"...the rhythm section was Omar & Victor Bailey.
    So smokin' I ran out the next day to buy the album(major disappointment; the record was mostly sequenced/synths).
    The above tune is on the SNL: 25 Years Of Music DVD set.
  15. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I just caught it-
    "Inadverdent Microtonalist"

...I love it!
  16. BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    Damn, that has happened to me so often! Some of the other usual suspects: Luther Vandross, Carleen Anderson, Angie Stone... the list goes on. They all have great live bands when they perform on late nite talkshows, you go out and get the CD the next day, only to find out it is full of computer-generated bullsh...

Terry is great, I have had her (first) solo CD for many years, I particularly like her version of the Beatles' "Blackbird". I think Keith Jones, of Crusaders fame, is playing bass on that one.