1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Terror Bass/Svt 410 HEN causing crazy whistle!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Twin Ponies, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Twin Ponies

Twin Ponies

Jul 1, 2016
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I recently purchased a used Ampeg SVT 410 HEN from GC. I currently am pairing it with the Orange Terror Bass 1000w amp. My instrument set up is a Mexican J Bass and a Moog Sub Phatty.

I noticed very quickly that when I have the bass plugged in, that if my gain or volume goes past 12 o'clock, I get a very high pitched whistle. It goes away if the tone knob on the bass is turned down or if the the volume or gain is brought below 12 o'clock.

Even though I've never had this happen with my bass, I initially thought it was the cause. It was only when I plugged in the Moog Sub Phatty that by just having the moog plugged in, the high pitched sound would start again right around the same point on the amp.

To rule out possible problems, I plugged the cab through two other heads, one ss and one tube. Neither caused the issue to occur while using the bass or moog. In addition, I plugged the Orange head through two other 410 cabinets with the problem not occurring. I also, used two different basses while using the svt can and orange amp without an issue, but the Moog still causes the whistle.

I took my entire set up to 2 different engineers with both having no solid answer for me. When we ruled out the bass as the problem, I showed them the synth. When we tired a different head, synth and cab sounded fine.The only way to make the whistle happens with this holy trinity of the Orange Terror Bass Head, the SVT 410 HEN and the Jbass/Moog.

The amount of frustration this is causing is mind blowing! Any suggestions? Anyone else ever run in to this issue? [/COLOR]

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sounds like you've narrowed it down to the head. Maybe check the preamp tubes. You might have one that's gone microphonic.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    For the longest time I thought that a "hen" is what people from certain Scandinavian countries call a speaker cabinet. You know, "I got a new Bergantino hen today - an HDN210."

Twin Ponies likes this.
  4. Twin Ponies

Twin Ponies

Jul 1, 2016
    I should have mentioned that I checked the tubes, both of which were in good shape, but just to test it, changes those out too. It's really confusing and frustrating.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021