Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Texas Rain Storms

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Mar 19, 2006.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OK, we have a few Texas residents here. I saw something on the news tonight about some intense rain storms hitting the Dallas area. I was in a room full of people talking, so I did not catch the whole story. Some of the images I saw were pretty scary.

All y'all from texas doing OK? You guys need anything that us TB'ers can do for you? Can we send supplies, food, etc?

-Mike

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am in a low lying area, and my back yard is under water.

The drainage ditch in front of my house has spilled over into the front yard.

A lot of people in Arlington (10 - 12 miles SW of me) have had to leave their homes due to flash flooding.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yikes, I saw a bit on the news...

I spent a couple of summers in Arlington. That area is all low-lying. Hope everything works out down there.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Let us know if we can help out in any way. :D

-Mike

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If it doesn't let up in a day or two, I may ask you to send me a boat!:help:

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wow...I didn't realize that ya'll flooded. We had some pretty crazy storms here too last night. Lots of rain but I think we have pretty good drainage.

bc

7. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Too much rain too fast for the high plains. I believe one person lost their life when they were swept away in fast moving and rising water in the Turtle Creek area.

A friend of mine leaving Austin after SXSW said it took 4 hours to get out of Austin to Round Rock (about 10 miles north) due to the traffic and weather.

Maybe our drought will end now.

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Its rained steady since Friday night mostly, but I suffered no ill effects. My back yard is pretty wet and muddy, but luckily my house is up on a little bit of a hill and Im fairly safe from flooding.

It was pretty rough though.

9. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    We caught a bit of that stuff last night, but not like the Dallas folks have been getting. Rained pretty hard last night with lots of lightning and all that jazz... pretty cool if you ask me.

By the way, it's an absolutely beautiful day in Austin today.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Very cool. Would you mind taking a walk down to Austin Bass Traders and see if they have a nice five string Roscoe or Sadowsky for me? :D

-Mike

11. The Texas Rain has caused a Texas Flood:

[​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist the pun.:D

Rock on
    Eric

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    It was darned impressive. Especially so after having so little rain for so long.

I live in a comparatively high section of Arlington. I've never had notable water accumulation in my yard. It usually just flows right by and accumulates a couple of blocks away, at a lower part of the neighborhood.

Yesterday morning that 'flow across the yard' water was about an eight inch deep torrent, and my dogs' doghouse, my lawnmower, and the plastic 'lawn closet' stand up cabinet for our yard care tools had all been washed to the sort of downhill side of the yard.

Considering that with a frog-drowning downpour, we would usually have no more than an inch of depth flowing across the yard, and we certainly have never had large objects floating away, this was a pretty serious rain.

13. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Sorry but that's Larry Davis's song

Attached Files:

14. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    So kind of you to think of us down here!

Dallas/Arlington area got *nailed*, and so did the High Plains. The Austin area got some rain, and some flooding on Shoal Creek, but that was it. I'm in the hills NW of Austin, and we had quite a light show, and some rain, but no flooding. We've been in drought so long, the creek had zero water in it when it started raining, so it didn't rise high enough to trap us.

My gig on Saturday got cancelled. The venue owner and I figured it would rain all night, and not be safe to set up the PA at his outdoor place. And then the rain quit around 6, and didn't start up again until Sunday. Dang...missed a gig!

I'm just thankful that's the only damage we had. I hope none of our North Texas TB folk got washed out!

Cherie

15. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Didn't see any on the website. Funny thing is I've never been there before. I'd really like to see an F-bass or an MTD in person, and I think they're the only people in town that carry them, but I'm not in the market and I hate being a tire-kicker.

16. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Same for me, with Bass Emporium. I just always think, "Well, I can't even afford strings in there. Why torture myself?" But it would be nice to go play with the expensive basses, next time its raining at lunchtime. :-} (I work right across MoPac from Guitar Center and Bass Emporium and a plethora of pawn shops.)

Cherie :)

17. mgshotgun

mgshotgun Shooting extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2005
    Leander Tx
    Well at least today was a beautiful day outside in the Fort Worth area. After so much rain we deserved it!

18. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    No kidding, made me wish I didn't have to work today.

The rain was pretty cool here, helped me to get some good sleep.

19. Same for H-town.

I've got a lot of relatives in the Dallas area, so far they seem to be doing ok. Hope you guys make it out alright with no damage.