That darned request again!!!!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Hi guys

Everytime we play out, we get some drunk girl ask us to play "Shimmer" by Fuel. We sound nothing like them, we're acoustic for crying out loud. :eyebrow:

Are there any songs you ALWAYS get asked for that you just would not play under pain of death??? :rollno: :rollno:
  2. Oh believe me, in addition to the whole Southern Rock genre, every song on the set list of the last sh!tty cover band I was in has been banished to the "I will never play any of these f*cking songs again as long as I live" list... and I had contributed "21st Century Digital Boy" and "I'll Stick Around" to that list!!
  3. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Brown-eyed girl
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Old Time RnR

We do them on the fly, but man they are boring.
    Crowd must be pleased, therefore please the crowd.

4. If someone asks for a song you don't want to play just break into Eye of the Tiger. This will get the point across.
  5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I played a wedding gig last night (as a drummer) with a band that is not really suited to that kind of thing. This band plays a bunch of blues, bluegrass, and eclectic music. We got the gig because the groom heard us in a club recently. We actually did really well because we played all those songs that have been done to death. Some of the stuff we whipped out:

Mustang Sally
    Brown Eyed Girl
    My Girl
    Ain't to proud to beg
    Wonderful tonight
    Honky Tonk Women
    You've lost that lovin' feelin
    etc., etc.

We took as many request as possible (one of them was "Luckenbach Texas") and the people were really happy we did it. Somtimes requests can be drudgery, but after all, you are there to entertain.
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    and that says it all :cool:

cover gigs = playing what the people want.

Sometimes it's your fav...
    Sometimes it's "Born to be Wild" or "Mony Mony".
  7. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    The part that I always found difficult was to try and find something about each song to make it worthwhile. Just some way to make it interesting, not so blatantly torturous. Sweet Home Alabama again? How about tapping the chords while playing the traditional dull bass part simultaneously? Didn't work the first few times, but eventually I got it and I bet I have more fun on that song than most of you.
  8. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Hey, an acoustic version of "Shimmer" may be pretty cool! Work it up and I'll bet you will be suprised.
  9. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    We used to have a game within the band for songs we did to death, but it made it fun. Someone would pick a song kickoff or a well known guitar/ bass lick and stick it in the song you were doing at the time. You had to do it for every song for a set, so you had to think in order to make it fit. For example: Take one of the guitar solos from "Sweet Home Alabama" and use that in "That's the way love goes."
  10. Yeah, well, on the flip side of the coin, the people who "want" those overplayed oldies (and let's face facts, folks - it's usually the f*cking liquor doing the talking when it comes to such requests, not one's heart and/or soul) aren't the people onstage controlling the instruments.
  11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    not directly, but they are the reason we are paid to be on that stage AND the ones that are paying the venue in cover and drinks to be entertained. If you don't get behind the "overplayed oldies", then you are cheating them.

They are there for fun. We are there to supply them a service. Doesn't matter what you think controls their choices... only that they have a good time :bassist:

also, most of the audience have their "heart/soul" in other things in life... if it was music as an art, I doubt they would be @ a bar catching a local cover band :meh:
  12. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    If you are playing a wedding gig or some kind of function, there are alot of people there who don't frequent bars and hear the same song over and over. We have got gigs because we made these people happy and played their requests. It all depends on what you want to do musically. If you are out there promoting your original material, and want to showcase only that, I can see where doing requests would not be what you want. In the cover band world requests are a pain, but a necessary evil. After all, you are getting paid to play an instrument. How sweet is that?
  13. actually, doing "shimmer" in our format was an idea that i thought might be good.

and, lads, our band are totally in touch with the "crowd wants - we play" scenario, it's just that this particular song is so different to everything else we play.
  14. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I will NEVER play Mustang Sally, Brown Eyed Girl, Sweet Home Alabama, or Proud Mary again.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hah! How about when the old-timer at the wedding reception comes up and asks if you know any Dixieland? I just say, "HEY! Do you see any banjos up here? NO! Do you see any tubas up here? NO! Clarinet? NO! Are we going to be playing any Dixieland? NO!"
  16. A-f*ckin'-men!
  17. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    When you are playing some kind of function, how do you handle it when you get those requests?
  18. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I will be the first to cringe when some of the songs that others are carping about are requested, but I really feel that a successful cover band knows which side their bread is buttered on. Hell, I have had to play "Mustang Sally" THREE times in one evening. But, you know, our tip jar was overflowing after we did and people were happy. That's the point of being in a cover band.
  19. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    A buddy of mine told me they recently played "Strokin" 5 times during one private party (all requests.) He said the dance floor was full everytime they played it.
  20. Say thank you and then proceed with the rest of your set.