1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The amp odyssey...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MichaelSmalley, Aug 13, 2012.

1. In the past 2 years, I have gone through 4 amp heads and various cabs, looking for a rig that felt right... that felt like... home.:bassist:

I've had a Hartke LH 1000, pf500, Mesa Boogie 400 (didn't work right), Eden 1205: all those through various combinations of Hartke HyDrive 410, Pf 210, & PF115 cabs.

Last week, a buddy let me borrow his SVT-CL amd 410HLF, and ohmygod it made me week in the knees. None of the amps I've owned have had that kind of headroom. The tone was amazing. I didn't feel like I had to baby it at all.

Then I had to carry it back to my car, and I thought that maybe the tone wasn't that great after all...:bag:

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

I loved my SVT-CL until I wiped out in my hall while carrying it in after a gig and almost killed myself (it was snowing and slippery!). 85lbs crashing down on your legs isn't much fun.

A SVT and a 410HLF is one of the best sounding combinations out there IMO. I just don't like the weight of the SVT and the fact that it can't drive a single 8ohm cab. I gig with a single 2x10 a lot, so this was an issue.

3. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    "Then I had to carry it" about sums up my concern with the Ampeg CL. My new band swears they'll help me carry it and an 8x10. Better not be pranking me. :p

4. I'm getting a really nice rig right now. Just ordered a Demeter preamp from the classifieds on this site. I'm going to pick up one of those nice new lightweight poweramps. Just trying to decide on what brand I'll go with for some really nice sounding cabs.

But the SVT sounded as nice as anything I've heard, imho. Makes me wonder if I jumped too soon an dropping tons of loot on the hifi rig.

5. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    I have my CL in a heavy-duty roadcase so it must weigh 100 lbs. plus. I bring a longboard skateboard and roll it in.

6. Bah, an SVT isnt that bad. my tube amp is a tad heavier and the tone is worth every ounce it weighs.

7. The cab was worse for me actually because it is on the tilt back casters, but I'm pretty tall so I had to bend over awkwardly to get the thing out of the bar. My back already feels better but I'm not sure I could commit to that every weekend.

8. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I just got my SVT Cl and am getting nervous because my 45 day return limit is creeping up fast, I love it but the thought of sending it back for a SVT 7 pro keeps hitting me, less money and less weight, never herd a 7 pro before so I am not sure if I will be trading down!

9. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I've played house SVT backlines before. My current "larger rig" setup blows them away wrt feel and dynamics (imho). Hard to find one to demo though - you just have to have faith or use a place with a return policy. 4lb head, 44lb cab. Yeah, some will dismiss it based on that alone. It's their hernia :D

Tecamp Puma 500/M212

m212-2.

10. Thats a sweet little rig, and I agree that there are options out that that some may like better than an SVT and 810 rig. For me its a pre/power amp and a fEARful.

11. jpknox

jpknox

Oct 7, 2011
    Knoxville TN
    go to lowes - Best Wheel Products Folding Hand TruckItem #: 171232 Model #: H003A dont' carry 85+ pound amps or cabs!

12. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Try a Traynor YBA-3 or the new ones the YBA200-2 and 300-3 they all weigh less then the Ampegs, still all tube and sound great!

Also, I used to have an 8x10 and the 410hlf both sounded amazing except, believe it or not, the 810 was easier to move since the casters and bar where at an easier level to roll around. Both need help to lift anyway might as well just get the 810!

13. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    This weekend I had a SVT 3 Pro and SVT 7 Pro at home. The 7 Pro isn't as thick or rich sounding as the 3 Pro, likely due to the added preamp and driver tubes in the 3 Pro. The 7 Pro also has a much more hifi high end to my ears. I also tried a 7 Pro and Korean CL at Guitar Center driven by the same bass through the same cab. Same overall comment - not as thick and definitely not as saturated with harmonics as the CL was. Lastly, tried the 7 Pro vs my MESA 400+ which is my current amp. Obviously the 7 Pro has the Ampeg sound, but I'm personally sold on the all-tube sound.

I've yet to find a hybrid that breaks into a pleasant overdrive, their overdrive always sound like crap, though many do a good tube warmth vibe. And the hybrids always have way too much clean hi end pushing through, at least for the sound I want.

Keep in mind I'm a self-taught play-mostly-by-ear local band dude, not a professional.

14. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I though about this BUT, wouldn't this thing jar the heck out of your tube amp? Have you used one of these before for a SVT Cl? If you have I guess it is safe and I may go for it!

15. I have an Ultimate Support foldy cart thingy, but I forgot it.

16. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    My longboard works very well for this with it's big, soft urethane wheels. I can even turn corners easily with loose trucks. I do go very slow over rough pavement in the parking lot to prevent any jarring.

17. I think I would get murdered if I showed up to a gig with an 810.