1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The band Cake.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mfgl, Sep 20, 2008.

1. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    To get the tone their bass player had in the late 90s (links below) i would need flats? If so can someone recommend a good set for a Ibanez sr495/505 most sets at the local store are 4 string sets so i guess ill have to mail order. I dont know what newer stuff sounds like but these songs have the sound i mean Esp the first one, i think its the most famous song.

2. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Great band. P bass with rounds and the treble rolled off gets as close as you'll ever need. It's more a P bass tone than a string thing, I reckon.

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I don't think Gabe Nelson used flats. But at that point in time, he said he used the same old P and J basses he had as a teen.
    I've always loved his meaty tone.

4. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Yeah ,he plays a white p bass,I saw them at First Ave,in Minneapolis a few 10 years back

5. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    i keep listening and something just doesnt seem like normal tone to me...its like there is no sustain just notes...i dont know the proper terminology but esp on "i will survive" it just sounds different to me.

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas

That bassline...I'd love that tone

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Love Cake. Love.

We opened for them when I was in high school. Well, technically we opened for Little Guilt Shrine who opened for Cake, but same difference.

IMO, bass playing doesn't get too much better than this. Fantastic tone, great groove, and deceptively difficult lines that propel the song along without ever being obtrusive. I like Nelson's style for the same reason I like JMJ's work.

Two of my favorite lines: Meanwhile Rick James and Love Her Madly. Hell, I think it's a Moog (or at least doubled by one), but I dig the groove from Palm of Your Hand too. I could go on and on.

As far as the tone, it's a P-Bass with flats the tone rolled off through a an old GK. He uses a fair amount of muting, whether fingerstyle or with a pick.

Personally, I don't think the brand of strings matters nearly as much as the P-Bass and the right hand technique. In fact, I've gotten reasonably close with rounds.

8. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    +1 P bass and technique. You have to control your note lengths to get the groove going.

9. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    Thanks for the responses, I think my bass (ibanez sr485) is capable of a lot more tones then i can get out of my 8" practice amp. Being laid off sucks, I hate living on a budget and not being able to buy toys. There is no doubt my technique is week, i been playing on and off for only 6 months yet. Playing with these songs is my first try with a pic.

10. Butterbass

Butterbass

Jul 6, 2008
    Big O, U are Right on! Love your song choices! My faves have to be Let Me Go and She'll Come Back To Me but there are a plethora myriad bevy of choices,agreeded? Let's turn this into an orgiastic bassologistical list o Cake Runs, dig? Share your ultimates mates, Yah! Alright! OK!

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My band GUM! played "Never There" and "The Distance". I personally like "No Phone".