Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The best rackmounted Multi FX

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The Reff, Jun 24, 2004.

1. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I'm currently in the market for a new Multi FX.

I have two demands :

1. Rackmountable

2. Better sounding than the G-major ( for now my main Multi FX )

I can think of only one : Line 6 bass pod XT

Any suggestions ?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Line 6 better than the G-Major??? We hear things VERY differently I think.

I've never heard one but the Rocktron Blue Thunder has been reviewed favorably.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    TC Electronics G Force. End of story. I replaced $5500 worth of hi-end analog pedals with this, and I couldn't be happier.

4. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    The reason that I'm thinking about getting another Multi Fx is primarily because of the Octaver in the G-major - it's to slow

What's the pitch shifter in the G-Force like ???

5. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I checked out Blue Thunder on the web - it seems to me that there's no octaver !!!!!

Is that true ??

6. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    Anything else in its class you'd recommend if you had to buy something new now? Am just starting to think about building up collection of analog pedals (slowly), I've never been happy with multi-effect stompboxes on the whole.

Never really considered rack effects before now though.

Do you use this in live situations too? Do you find the fact that it's designed for guitars limiting at all? Any effects on it suck bass tones away?

7. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I think the good thing about having rack Fx's is that you program it or change it real-time via midi. No bending down and tweak your pedals.

Also I have other rack gear. A Line 6 Echo Pro and a Filter Pro is currently in my rack. So in order not to have to push to many pedals at once, a midi board does all the work.

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The pitch shifting in the G Force is crazy fast. The only other thing that might be faster would be an Evantide, which goes for multiple thousands (and is discontinued). Check out my song Sicarii, on my website; the noisy guitar solo at the end is actually a bass.

There's nothing much out there that I can think of in it's class out there. The demand for these things isn't nearly what it used to be, so I think TC is the only guys making a high quality rack effects unit for guitar/bass anymore.

9. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I remember trying a G-Force some years ago. I remember thinking that it was difficult to use - What do you think ???

But it has MANY features - how many do you use ???

10. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    Was wondering why you preferred it to the analog pedals you used to own..

Is it convenience, sound quality, or range of effects that you like about it?

Is there anything that you'd say was bad about it?

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Roland SE-70 and VF-1 sound better than TCs to my ears.

12. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I find the G Force very easy to use. There's almost no manual to speak of, and it took me no time at all to figure it out.

I bought it mainly for the convienence of the thing; my pedal board was housing 22 pedals, and was 4'x3'. It weighed a ton, had cables running everywhere, powering all those pedals was a nightmare... and I was showing no signs of stopping with just 22 pedals. It was an addiction. Granted, they sounded great, but very inconvenient.

The TC does sound different than all the analog goodness, which sometimes I think is better suited for bass. It's much clearer and transparent than the analog, although it's not as warm. I can't be a spontaneous with my sounds as I've been in the past, but I'm learning ways to work around that. Maybe I will get back into pedals at some point, but for now I'm enjoying only having a single rack space unit to deal with.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    whats the dif between the g major and the g force?

15. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    The G-Major is kind of a scaled down version of the G-Force.

The G-major is also a bit younger.

And then there's a lot of technical stuff that I don't know so much about. Basically the G-force has more options.

There's probably more to add............

16. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    I've also found http://g-force.info/ useful, far more information there than on TC Electronic's own site!

17. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I found one on the bay...it's 1100 bucks!! :eek:

It better be all that.

18. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    Found them on sale in the UK for £1400 - around $2500 dollars! It's not really surprising that I end up ordering most things from the U.S.!

Edit: Ok, found some at the much more reasonable price of £849.99 :)

19. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    what about the fireworx or the m1?

20. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    The M-One does only reverb and delay and to my knowledge the fireworx is a mastering tool.

I just saw one on the web : Eventide Eclipse - it looks really good. Does anyone have any hands-on experience ????

www.eventide.com