1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The biggest issue you have with your band's facebook/instagram...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by vittostaffolani, Feb 14, 2020.

1. vittostaffolani

vittostaffolani Commercial User

Jan 19, 2020
    Hey everyone !!!

I’m currently trying to find out how one could make the lives of bands a lot easier :)
    Wich is why I have a very simple question:

-- What's the biggest issue you guys have with your band's facebook/instagram page?

Thanks so much in advance!!! looking forward to reading your answers!!!

2. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Ours is on Facebook. My wife, who is part of the band too, maintains it.

Personally, I don't like Facebook at all, and I stay off of it as much as possible. The general Facebook layout always seems extremely disorganized, I feel like I'm reading someone's personal diary, and I don't trust it's handling of personal information. I think the last time I was on the service was over 6 months ago, and that was for only about 5 minutes.

I wish we still had a regular webpage instead, but the hosting costs and maintenance time just wasn't worth it. Plus, despite my personal feelings about it, Facebook is extremely popular and we have lots of contacts and get a lot of hits there.

We do not have a presence on Instagram or any other social media service, except for our band's YouTube channel which was created for us last July during the production of our latest album.

Supadope, Phud and vittostaffolani like this.
  3. Ekajimmy

Ekajimmy

Nov 2, 2019
    +1
    [​IMG]

vittostaffolani likes this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

some entertainment purchasers are making decisions based on FB 'performance' and many (most?) of our audience uses that platform regularly, so: it's a no-brainer = it works for us! it's not a panacea, however, by a long shot.

issues?
    - ever-changing FB rules/regs re: advertising.
    - those rules/regs are published as 'FB speak' = PC on steroids, FB style
    - FB analytics are often confusing
    - i rate the cost/benefit as an advantage overall, but a lot of work: so barely
    - no real (good) alternative: but that may be more of a whine about the world we live in
    - paid ads vs. 'organic' results are difficult to evaluate objectively given FB's biases toward its own culture

we (band) live in a metropolitan area. FB may have decided advantages for the band because of that.

vittostaffolani and LBS-bass like this.
  5. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    IMO, Facebook is the problem with your band's Facebook page. I started using this tool when I started gigging, just to do what I can to help market our gigs. But it feels pretty worthless - I can never fins anything when I go looking for it, so unless somebody actually took the effort to record and event, they may never run across it again.

I have been able to score a couple gigs from Facebook through (one for the band one as a sub), so I guess there is some value to stupidity.

vittostaffolani likes this.
  6. I'm pretty happy with my band's FB page as it helps us get gigs, and helps us bring people to those gigs. We create an event for every gig, and there are some things that annoy me:

- Too often people tell me they did not see the post about our gig, even though they like our page and I share the post everywhere I can (though I only send a handful of personal invites because I don't want to spam everyone for every gig). FB just doesn't show every post to someone who likes out page. So they must go into the page and then go into our events to see them.

-As a user, I often see a band create an event for a gig and they title the event "Bob's bar". Well, when I see that post it Just says "Bob's bar" and I don't know what exactly is happening at Bob's. So a tip I give everyone is to be more descriptive in the title, such as "The Wailers at Bob's bar - Reggae"

-People cannot just search for a band name and find their page (when their name has common words). My band is Bad Candy and our user name is BadCandyRocks (because "BadCandy" was already taken). So I have to keep reminding our singer that he can't just say "look us up on Facebook" without telling them to search for "BadCandyRocks", otherwise they'll never find us.

-If I post today that we have a gig on Mar 30 people start to think that that is our next gig. It might actually be that our next gig is on Feb 20, but it throws them off when they see the post about the Mar 30 gig.

-There's all kinds of crap at the top of our page (community info, page creation date, etc). Most people just want to see our videos and see our upcoming events, but that is buried far lower on the page, especially on the phone app.

Chains, mrcbass and vittostaffolani like this.
  7. I primarily use my personal page to announce shows and do other promotions. Commercial "pages" on Facebook are a joke; you need to spend money to get your information in front of more than a small handful of people. It's much easier to reach a larger portion of your potential audience if you friend those people on your personal account and invite them personally to an event you create. If you just post things directly to band page, hardly anyone will see them.

Chains and vittostaffolani like this.
  8. Chains

Chains

Jan 22, 2014

you can pin your newest or most important posts to the top of your page. i think you can select one featured video to show on the main page as well.

another cool feature is if you use reverbnation, all of your shows and songs etc. will show upon FB if you have synced your social media thru reverbnation. i like that!

i have found that, other than close friends, not many people pay attention to our FB page. But a lot of bars and clubs use it for messaging, events and promos in my area.