The John East preamp club

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by datsaxguy, May 16, 2013.

1. Oly Spart

Oly Spart

May 20, 2015
    Canary Islands
    I was wondering if I should buy this preamp or another one for my Cort GB75.
    But by seeing that John is answering personally here and fast... I have no more doubt, I'll buy a John East for sure.
    I only have to chose which..? : )

Peter Weil likes this.
  2. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I’ve got a custom pre I want to order from John. I’ve never regretted purchasing an East preamp.

Don Vitos likes this.
  3. John East

John East Commercial User

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Owner of East Tone UK Ltd
    It seems we should send you another Mid/Mid-Freq pot, easy to connect as it plugs onto the main EQ circuit board.

Can you email your address, please? Tnx.

warnan, tombowlus and Don Vitos like this.
  4. Don Vitos

Don Vitos

Feb 22, 2018
    Yes I sent you an email today. My email address is [email protected]
    Thanks

5. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    Ordered a Marcus Miller pre and it arrived crazy fast (im in Australia) pity the bass its going in will probably take forever to build.

ctmullins and Peter Weil like this.
  6. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    @John East

Hi John.

Question for you. Do you have, by any chance, a push/pull DPDT volume control that is compatible with the MMSR? I already have the MMSR 3-knob 3 band and I'm considering putting in a Series/Parallel switch. Or is there a generic Off The Shelf part you would recommend?

Many thanks.

7. John East

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    > Do you have, by any chance, a push/pull DPDT volume control that is compatible with the MMSR?

Not something we can supply Steve, but I can recommend Bourns parts, for reliability. There are lots with similar specs, so plenty of choice, but untested/used by us.
    PDB183-GTR02-253A2 or PDB183-GTR02-254A2

The first one is 25K, the value used in the original MM preamps. The MMSR you have includes the mid circuit which buffers the volume pot, so the 2nd part above will work perfectly well and is likely to have greater availability.

(The original MM 2 bands used 25K volumes feeding the output jack directly, so that the output impedance is relatively low. But this doesn't apply to your MMSR where the mid circuit feeds the jack directly.)

Peter Weil likes this.
  8. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Thanks John. Can I assume then that the MMSR knob will fit the shaft of those Bourns pots?

9. John East

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    > Can I assume then that the MMSR knob will fit the shaft of those Bourns pots?

Yes, 6mm diameter shafts.

SteveCS likes this.
  10. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    Hello @John East,

I asked a question by mail a few days ago, but sometimes things get lost so I'll ask it here also, seeing that you're quite active around here, which is awesome :)
    I see that the Uni-Pre has 2 "plug-in tone caps" slots near the volume/blend PCB.
    However, I can't find anywhere how to purchase those, and it seems the preamp I purchased from the distributor did not include any of these.

Are they supposed to come standard with the preamp, should I ask the seller ? Or is there any way to get them somewhere ?

Thanks for your help :hyper:

11. Don Vitos

Don Vitos

Feb 22, 2018
    Dear John. I have sent you several mails and I need the replacement as soon as you can please.
    Does anyone know where i can get the stacked med pot for UNI PRE?

12. John East

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    > Dear John. I have sent you several mails and I need the replacement as soon as you can please.
    Does anyone know where i can get the stacked med pot for UNI PRE?

I said in a post above that we would send you a mid pot, and I asked for your address, but I'd receive anything back from you so far?

13. John East

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Are there any caps in the sockets on the vol/blend circuit?

If not they will be with the passive tone.

14. Don Vitos

Don Vitos

Feb 22, 2018
    I sent you emails and a private message through talkbass. My email is [email protected]. thanks

15. John East

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Very good, thanks.

Don Vitos likes this.
  16. Don Vitos

Don Vitos

Feb 22, 2018
    You are welcome. I look forward to hearing from you.

17. John East

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Apologies that I didn't answer all of your questions.

Can you tell me if the tone caps are on the passive tone? (They would be on the latest units and sockets on the Vol/blend circuit board would be unused)

The types of caps are readily available from electronics suppliers, but we would normally supply them, our re-sellers wouldn't have them.

Nuage420 likes this.
  18. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    No worries :) I can't tell you unfortunately, because I already sent the unit to my luthier as part of a new build... But if I understand correctly, it should already be there on the passive tone board ? It's fine then, I won't bother him with that, I'll wait until I get the instrument and get back to you if needed, no rush :thumbsup: Thanks for your assistance !

19. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hello,

if people tried, I'd like to know if a Uni-pre will fit in a deluxe American jazzbass 2012.

Originaly, I was interested in the simpler J-tone but apparently it is not possible to custom it in a 4 holes version with side jack.

Thanks for your opinion and help

20. John East

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    A UNI-PRE won't fit in a Jazz because the circuit boards are too long, causing the EQ to overlap the mid circuit, for example. The end of the EQ circuit will sit beyond the outline of the plate, unfortunately.

Kubicki Fan, flojob and macribas like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021