The Mars Volta - Scab Dates

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by FunkKing, Nov 10, 2005.

1. I picked this up today, its their new live album. It's pretty sweet. Juan Alderete locks in with Jon Theodore real tight. Its got some pretty sweet jams on it too, they improvise like crazy muthas all the way through. The lead singer's voice isn't bad either, he occasionally falls a little flat, but I was quite impressed. Anyone else planning on picking this up?
  2. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I picked it up and I really enjoy it. The song, "B. And Ghosted Pouts" has a great groove going to it. They sound great, especially considering it's live. I saw them when they toured with SOAD and played like four songs but jammed for an hour, great stuff.
  3. If theres one criticism I have, its how the sax player is underused. He blows some wicked stuff on 'Concertina' but he's pretty much left out for most of the rest of the album.
  4. Saw them live when they were doing headlining state-side gigs for Frances, and it was by far the worst show I've ever been to in my entire life.

I'll just stick to their recorded material...
  5. Ive seen them live in NYC and they were awesome (Figjam can back me on this)

But apparently they have played some really bad shows and really great ones. I'll definitely be buying thsi cd.
  6. At the Roseland ballroom back in May, right?

Yeah, that show was atrocious.
  7. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    I'll have to pick that up. I saw them when they were touring with APC and was blown away. It was the first time I'd ever heard of them actually. They played 2 songs, but improvised for about 45-50 minutes.
  8. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    That's what I heard too. When they toured with SOAD over the summer I saw them and they were great. The only problems were that in the begining of "Cynus...Vismund Cygnus" (the song they opened with) they were mixed poorly but the next song (IIRC, La Villa de Viaquez ?) they came in strong so whatever the problem was, disappeared.
  9. Nah, the live album is equally as good as their recorded stuff. I dunno if they made a special effort because it was being recorded or something, but they're really, really tight.

10. Um...

There were two shows, both at Roseland, one on Thursday the 5th, and the other on Friday the 6th. I went to the Friday show and everything to me sounded great. My only complaint iis that they play a bit faster live then they do on the albums. I really noticed this after seeing the Electric Ballroom show on TV (not so much when I saw them live, I was too excited to even care).

Which one did you go to? Fig told me he went to the one on the 5th and said they played great as well.

:eyebrow: :smug:
  11. I was at the friday show as well.

For one, their sound was awful live. I have no idea who was in charge of sound checking them, but they really ought to be fired.

The bass was just a loud thud. No dynamic whatsoever. In fact, Juan could've played open notes the entire night and as long as he followed the rhythm, it would've sounded the same.

Next... the "effects" were turned up far too high. All of the ambient electronic sound was remarkably loud, and the guitars really needed to drop down a few levels. It was painful to listen to, no matter how far you were from the stage.

Last... the keys, sax, and percussion were completely inaudible.

Add them all up and you've got a steamer.

Not to mention they played about four songs or so and just wanked the rest of the night.
  12. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Well, I agree that sound has been a consistant issue but from your last comment, it doesn't sound like your going to change your mind either way. :eyebrow:
  13. Glad I brought my ear plugs that night. They are without a doubt the loudest band I have ever heard. And I've been to close to 50 concerts.
  14. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I saw them when they were opening for APC. They were absolutely amazing. The perfect example of what jamming SHOULD be live (something too many people around here don't get).
  15. and why should I?

I went to the show and stated my opinion of it.
  16. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    No kidding. I was just confused on how you came to your opinion but none the less, it doesn't matter.
  17. I still don't think the show was as (or nearly) bad as marcusalan describes it.