1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Mellincolli NBD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drunkenDAYlewis, Nov 15, 2018.

1. I am feeling odd, I have said it.

10 days ago I bought a new (to me) American deluxe jazz bass from 2010 should be exciting right? The problem is, I'm not.

I should say a couple years ago I sold off ALL of my gear when our band decided to stop touring as I wanted a nest egg going into a slightly uncertain future, that was a big mistake but I will discuss that in a separate post. The only instrument I kept was an acoustic guitar which I play often.

So a couple months I start getting the itch to play and I start to frequent music stores and check Kijji and Reverb for nothing in particular but somthing.

So one Sunday I head to Long and McQuade who is having a big sale and on thier used wall is a bass that immediately catches my eye, long story short with the American Elite Fenders taking over shelf space the American Deluxes were becoming quite the bargain, the price of it drew me in as it was less than I would pay for a used American Standard and only a hair more than a NEW MIM Deluxe. I loved how it looked and it plays great, so I buy it a couple days later.

Here is the thing I don't love it, I like it, sure it's a great piece but I haven't once got that heart pumping excitement of "OMG this is MY bass" this is also the nicest bass I have ever owned so I am baffled by this. I wonder if because it is so nice I don't feel worthy, or maybe since I had to sell all my gear before I don't want to get attached, or maybe I know I won't get something better for what I payed, but the point is I should be thrilled I have a pro quality piece of gear and I am not. The weird thing as far as jazz basses go it checks lots of my boxes. It is versatile with it's electronics but I seem to always put it on passive mode. I love the CBS headstock on block inlays (goes back to my Geddy Lee I regret selling). I sort of thought I was buying a forever bass that could grow with me but it simply doesn't feel like mine.

I was curious if you folks had ever had this happen where you bought something nice and later thought you would of been better off with a more budget choice? I would love to here your stories!

So what do you all think I should do? Sell it? Trade it? Learn to love it and keep it forever?
    20181115_125132. 20181115_124928. 20181115_124834. 20181115_125012. 20181115_124855.

2. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Great looking bass.

I was never a fan of the fender Active offerings. Just not my favorite preamps. I owned an earlier version of an Am Del Jazz. Other than looks, I don't miss it.

Ditch the flats (if I see them correctly) and try some quality rounds. May change up the whole thing for the better. If not....find something more suitable.

Good luck!

3. Yeah they are flats, ironically they are great! I will keep the flats if I end up parting with it, they are nicely broken in.

Yeah I think I will try some roundwounds, I as of late have preferred flats but with these pickups it might do better with rounds, needs the bite.

4. How old are you? I got blindsided just after my 67th birthday by a bitch of a metabolism shift that affected my brain chemistry as well as my body chemistry. My 1 -10 emotional response range now is more like 3 - 8. Nothing, not even nubile redheads, is as intense as it used to be.

Might be you are beginning to experience the same things.