1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Most Inspirational Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tomber, Sep 29, 2010.

1. tomber

tomber

Sep 8, 2010
    So, when I was about 12, I started getting into 1970s music a lot. And when I say "a lot" I mean I listened to everything from Emerson, Lake, and Palmer to Stevie Wonder to Black Sabbath. But my favorite was Led Zeppelin (still is) and after watching an old concert of them on TV, John Paul Jones quickly became my hero because he was so cool. I t was because of him that I took up bass guitar.
    And of course later in life I started spreading out and listening to even more types of genres. Everything from Punk to Jazz, and admiring more bassists like Flea, Geddy, and even Colin Greenwood. But my favorite will always be Jones.

So I was just wondering what all of your most favorite, influential, inspiring bassists are.

2. Victor Wooten and Flea are big inspirations to me as a young bass player.

3. Sarbecue Boss

Sarbecue Boss

Jul 9, 2006
    So many. When I was younger it was guys like Mike Gordon, Geddy Lee, John Myung, and Flea. I currently am liking Jeff Berlin, Micheal Manring, Tal Wilkenfeld, people like that, but I don't really learn their stuff. I've been learning stuff from Mikeal Akerfeldt-his fingerpicking stuff is chordally great, Jeff Beck-crazy note choice, and Gavin Harrison drum grooves.

4. Jack Bruce and Flea are the biggest 2 inspirations for me (but I can't not mention JPJ, John Entwistle and Geezer Butler, anytime I hear any of them it gives me a boost of inspiration)

5. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009
    Doug Rauch w/ Santana 72 -73
    Billy Cobham / George Duke 1976
    Lenny White 1975

Ralphe Armstrong

w / Mahavisnu Orchestra 1974 -75
    Jon Luc Ponty 1975-76

Dave Lario Sr

Lario and Lyles duo

SF South Bay area
    during the mid-late 70;s

6. For me its Geezer Butler and Justin Chancellor. I actually met geezer and the rest of Sabbath wiht dio(RIP) at a signing. When I told geezer hes the one who made me want to pick up a bass he let me come around to their side of the table and i got to talk with him and the rest of the band for a half hour while they finished the rest of the singings, it was life changing.

7. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    He's like... a guitarist dude...

8. whatiswhat

whatiswhat

Mar 11, 2010
    Joplin MO
    Brian Bromberg and Tom Jenkinson... those guys are wizards

9. Sarbecue Boss

Sarbecue Boss

Jul 9, 2006
    Exactly. SPREAD THEM WANGS

10. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    For me ... Alain Caron, John Patitucci, John Myung, Les Claypool, Flea( until By The Way) and Victor Wooten

11. Psycho

Psycho

Jun 24, 2008
    Tom Araya.

Not just as a bassist, but as a person. Anyone who can be in a band with the lyrical content and image such as Slayer, and still be a Catholic and believe in God is an amazing person, with some damn strong personal values.

12. Wow, tough question. So many greats, but going back to the beginning:
    John Paul Jones (yeah, and he's *still* a huge inspiration to me)
    Donald "Duck" Dunn (with the Blues Brothers)
    Jaco Pastorius (totally blown away trying to find the guitar player who played at the beginning of Birdland- ***?!?! That was the bass???)
    Roger Waters (I could *actually play* his bass parts, and the songs on Dark Side of the Moon are just excellent)

13. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    James Jamerson and Carol Kaye.

14. NYCBass

NYCBass If it feels good it must be a Jazz Bass Gold Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Queens NY
    Jaco

15. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Geddy Lee.

16. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    All the usual suspects, though I do remember spending most of 1989 learning everything off Fishbone's 'Truth and Soul', so Norwood Fisher has to be in there for me, underrated IMO, wicked player, wicked band.

'Bonin' in the Boneyard' is a great slap line/solo to get around ; )

17. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Paul Gray and Vince Hornsby were the ones to first get me into it.

18. AcidFripp

AcidFripp

Jul 12, 2010
    John Paul Jones and Geddy Lee. They're both incredibly cool. I've seen both of them live and... they're just incredible. Geddy with his incredible technical skill and JPJ with his unquestionable groove and overall genius... Rush and TCV are both bands who are amazing because of their bassists.

19. taphappy

taphappy doot de doo

Sep 28, 2007
    Tempe, Arizona
    Hell yeah! Attacked that like a rabid chihuahua when it came out. Pouring Rain's the first time I heard a low B and went, "Baroo?"

20. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Without McCartney, Squire, Geddy, Sting, Harris & Zender, I'd be stuck with classical piano forever.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021