1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Old Fashioned Way Project #1: Let's make an 8-track.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ZeroSymbolic, Dec 12, 2018.

1. After reading about 160+ replies to I want to learn songs the old fashioned way.

I've decided on a hybrid that combines old school ear training with the convenience of Modern Technology. In the spirit of the thread I've decided to start by having ya'lls suggest me 8 songs to begin with.

Criteria: Simple and clear basslines in the styles of Rock and Roll, Punk Rock, or Metal.
    I will pick 8 of the suggested songs I like and then begin learning them, hoping to post the finished versions on youtube as I go (for evaluation). Kinda Scary and doing trial by fire, might take me a long time just to get em this way, but Metallica said "JUMP IN THE FIRE!"

View attachment 3245890
    She's waiting...

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  2. Two songs that I suggest:
    Burn by Deep Purple, and Two Minutes to Midnight by Iron Maiden.

3. Well you are the only feedback I got so far, so thems the first two!

4. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Maybe some JPJ / Zepplin.
    Communication Breakdown? Black Dog?

5. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    "Slither" has a good riff to sound out.

Most of "Red Barchetta" is pretty straightforward with just a couple sticky spots you'll have to figure out.

6. ElGoodo

ElGoodo

Nov 27, 2017
    Austin TX
    Here's some goodies...

Oh Well - Fleetwood Mac
    Big Empty - STP
    Come Together - Beatles
    Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy
    Super Bon Bon - Soul Coughing
    Watching the Detectives - Elvis Costello
    Party at Ground Zero - Fishbone
    Fire - Jimmy Hendrix
    Free Ride - Edgar Winter
    Good Times Bad Times - Led Zeppelin

saabfender likes this.
  7. Update: I had a very chaotic week. I haven't been able to dive into this as much as I want yet. I'm pretty sure I've got the intervals to the main guitar riff of "Burn" on the bass but I'm not sure if it starts on a G or a C.