Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Skatalites' Electric Upright????

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by juancard, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Yo, first post here, and it's quite a specific and obscure one...to those interested, I have for tried to find out what company fabricated the electric upright used by Lloyd Brevett of The Skatalites. The times that I've seem them play, I never got the chance to ask. The EUB doesn't look like any EUB I've ever seen before, which makes me think it was custom made. It had a really incredible thump to it, so I'm quite interested to learn more about it. anyone got a clue??

here's links to pictures of it:
    http://www.skatalites.com/photos/individual.htm
    http://www.georgwa.demon.co.uk/skajazzcaf.htm

thanks

2. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    It´s a OMI Dobro Portable Upright Bass, made by the OMI company in Huntington Beach, Cal. probably during the 2nd half of the 70s or very early 80s. (The OMI company is best known for having made resonator guitars.) The neck is detachable. Th bass was discontinued in the early 80s.

Mikael

3. Holy crap, that was pretty quick! Thanks! Shame about it being discontinued. Whenever I saw them play live, Brevett would play this EUB and borrow the opening band's bass player's amp, and the EUB would sound fantastic with really minimal tweaking. I think alot of the sound must have been in those thick gut strings he played, the sound was just pure chunk and warmth.

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I played one of these years ago in a shop in SF, sounded great.

5. Does anyone on here actually own one of these??

6. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    I know a fella that has one of these. It's *not* for sale though. Don't you think that David Gage's "CHeckEase" travel bass looks alot like this old dobro model?