1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

The Stu Sutcliffe Hofner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GavinJC, May 21, 2019.

1. GavinJC

GavinJC

Feb 26, 2019
    Billings Montana
    Hey everyone,
    I'm a pretty big Beatles fan, especially the Hamburg days with Stu Sutcliffe and the crazy stories and just pure rock 'n' roll age of the Beatles career. I especially like the big bodied design of Stu's bass. So I've been browsing for a Hofner 500/5 President Bass. Preferably i would like this version:
    [​IMG]
    This is a CT version that was released some time in 2011. It looks very similar to the one Stu used in Hamburg. But it seems like the bass has just disappeared. I can't find one like it. The only president bass that i can find is this one:
    [​IMG]
    This one has the '67 style blade pickups and tobacco sunburst, and i'm not a fan of either. Does anybody know why the first CT President model doesn't exist anymore?

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Low volume of sales is the usual cause of cessation. There probably weren't enough buyers as enthusiastic as you are. Good luck in you search.

3. bluespenny

bluespenny

Mar 17, 2009
    Hey Gavin. I own the first one, and you are very right. It took me over a year to get mine after ordering it new from Hofner, and it apparently circumnavigated the globe to get here to Canada, with stops in Asia and Germany. I know of two others in Canada, so I don't think many were made.
    My guess is, it cost too much to make the first model. It's absolutely gorgeous, in fit and finish. The headstock inlay alone must have taken hours. And the pickups were dead on replicas of the bass Stu Sutcliffe played, unlike the new version and its later model pups.
    Only change I made is putting vintage teacup knobs on it. Stu would be proud.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  4. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

Any truth to the story that Stu couldn’t play, but was a friend of the band and they needed a bass player?

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Not a very popular bass.
    Not even as popular as the Hofner Club bass which hasn't been spotted in the wild since 2013.
    Well, he wasn't quite as adept as Sid Vicious!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021