Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Trout and...

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by KSB - Ken Smith, Oct 22, 2004.

1. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I have been invited to play the Trout Quintet by the Conductor and Cellist of one of the Orchestras I play with. The Cellist asked me if I know of any other music we can play with the same instrumentation that my be available.

It is Piano, Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass.

Please let me know if you have any info. on this as well as where it can be bought... Thx, Ken.....

2. Many composers have written piano quintets for the usual combination of instruments (string quartet and piano). There was an interesting article in Double Bass magazine (sorry I don't remember the issue, but it was in the last year or so) where a case was being made for the re-introdution of the double-bass as a member of the string quartet, where it takes the part usurped by the violoncello (I think that's how the author phrased it…). Food for thought - as there seems to be little else written specifically for the combination of instruments used in "The Trout" (which incidentally, was written in for Schubert's friend Sylvester Paumgartner, an amateur cellist).

- Wil

3. Ken

There are a lot of Baroque era pieces written for that instrumentation or something close. Generally instrumentation can be flexible for these things. Also, usually the bass plays exactly the same part as cello, so even if there isn't specifically a bass part, you could double the cello part (an octave lower of course). We are doing a piece with piano, bass, cello and two violins. That would work if your violist can read treble clef OK.

Jon

4. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Ken,

If you are able to lose the piano, then you have the Dvorak quintet available (vln,vln,vla,vc,db). Also, since this is using symphony members you have the Prokofiev quintet available (vln,vla,db,ob,cl). If you haven't played the Prokofiev, it is defintely worth the effort. I thought it was just the most amazing piece. There is a great recording of it by Boston Symphony players. It's probably the most realistic classical recording I've heard to date.

Ben

5. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    The newly found Vaughen Williams Quintet. It's BEAUTIFUL and originally includes the bass!

6. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    Glinka Sextet

7. p.nemeth

p.nemeth Guest

Hummel's Piano Quintet in E-flat major, Op.87

Vaughan Williams's Piano Quintet in C minor (1903)

Dussek's Piano Quintet in F minor, Op.41

Ries's Piano Quintet in B minor, Op.74

Limmer's Piano Quintet in D minor, Op.13

John Woolrich's A Shadowed Lesson for Piano Quintet (2000) (http://www.fabermusic.co.uk/serverside/works/Details.asp?ID=3008)

Colin Matthew's Triptych for Piano Quintet (1984)

There is also a quintet for this instrumentation by Frank Proto, but I don't know anything about it. You should get in contact with Kurt Muroki, he knows about a ton of chamber works with double bass.

8. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Thank's, we did the Hummel but that was almost 4 years ago. I have been late on occasion by a few minutes but never by 4 years!:rollno::eek: