1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The truth about rock and jazz.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Did a search and it seems nobody's posted this yet.

It's essential viewing.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

YouTube is blocked where I work - so I can't commment....:meh:

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Although I have heard all the hackneyed jokes many times ...like, rock is playing 3 chords to 5 thousand people, while Jazz is playing 5 thousand chords to 3 people! :atoz:

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Hilarious.

5. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    haha man I enjoyed that...I'll have to remember that next time I make a mistake..."I'm just trying to play some jazz..."

6. I have a good friend that aimlessly noodles most of the time, out of time, and smugly insists it is jazz. He clearly has no understanding of jazz or music in general. It's quite sad.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Well that sounds the opposite of what I have experienced. Most of the people I play Jazz with, I have met through formal music education at University of Sussex, University of Glamorgan and Trinity college.

All of my current band have been through a formal Jazz qualification and I have studied Jazz on a regular weekend course for the last 10 years...:eyebrow:

8. Don't get me wrong, this guy is an exception. The clip just highlighted many peoples' misunderstanding of the music and reminded me of my lost friend. I'm also proud of your accomplishments Bruce.:D

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    The part about miles is hilarious.

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    So do you all have degrees in how to play it wrong? :D

11. Bruce Lindfield

I have actually heard Jazz Tutors play demonstrations of where they have included all the "wrong" notes on a tune and made them sound right! :eyebrow:

i.e. a complete, valid, solo using all the notes you ought to avoid at that point in time! ;)

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    "He kept sticking this thing on the end of his horn to make it sound less like a trumpet. What's wrong with him?"

:D

13. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    I saw Victor Wooten do a clinic demonstarting the exact same thing about 2 months ago. Pretty amazing actually.

As far as the vid is conserned...ultimate lulz

Those guys never disapoint :D

14. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Hahahaha

"Jazz is an accident waiting to happen!"

15. Someone should post this in the DB forum. I'm sure they'd get a kick out of it.

16. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Awesome.:D

17. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    "Jazz is an accident." Hilarious.

And yes, it's sarcasm.

18. IconBasser