Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The....Vadim Rubstov???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Very pretty bass.

2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    isnt that the luthier who made some of Orim Isac's basses?

3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Anyone else think that inlay is a bit to Fodera?

Amazing bass though.....man I want everything I see :(.

EDIT: Just thought I'd throw in some shifty eyes....

so here it is:

:ninja:

4. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

You know, with a bass priced like that you could at least hope he got the pictures in FOCUS!

Just my $0.0002!

Dan K.

5. when I had more money I was looking at getting a custom from him.

vene... you are right

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That looks like a fine bass.

mmm padauk ...

7. Every one of Vadim's basses that I've seen have been stunning. Another beauty.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played 4 of 'em, all at LAG.

They are incredibly easy to play...incredibly comfortable. So much so that one 6-string was in the running against the Jerzy Drozd I ended up buying from Dan.

Vadim puts a ton of effort into building basses that have multiple laminates, interesting shapes, carved tops, wooden cavity covers and pickup covers, etc. The tones he coaxes out of these woods is amazing! :hyper:

There is a downside, though not much of one. His work is done by hand...entirely. You can tell. He's really meticulous when it counts, but some of the routings look like he had a worn-out jig. :meh:

That said, IMO, his work is good enough to look past the minor (and I mean minor) cosmetic flaws. His fretless bass was so "mwah-y" and growly I couldn't believe it...and, according to Dan, when he told Vadim how "mwah-y" it was, Vadim replied, "...that ain't nothin'...if you want mwah, wait 'til you see what I can do!" I haven't seen another fretless of his, but that one was unreal. :hyper:

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I've played one. It was in my local GC for a long time with bad strings and a broken pot, and then it was gone. It was selling as "list $3795, our price 3395," but at one time it was actually on "manager's sale" at $1695 or 1795.

It was the one on the first page of Vadim's site:
    http://www.welcome.to/vadimhandmadebasses/

Orin Isaac's Vadim basses are here: http://www.mocamusic.com/orinisaacs/bass/bass.html and here: http://www.mocamusic.com/orinisaacs/bass/vadim.html

There's a nice interview with Vadim here: http://www.globalbass.com/archives/dec2000/vadim.htm

As you may have guessed, I was very impressed with the bass. Absolutely gorgeous, beautiful wood selection, beautifully designed, shaped, and finished. I regret that the absolutely dead strings made it difficult to judge tone. The body was comfortable. The neck was thin, and was the thinnest at the nut I've ever felt- although my boutique bass experience is mostly web-based, not hands-based.

10. Yes.

11. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    i played a used one that was going for $3,000 plus at the Buffalo NY GC a few years ago. Since it's only about an hour or so away from Rochester, I wonder if it was the same one you played. The strings were bad, but I don't remember an issue with a pot. I liked the bass, but not $3,000 worth of like.

Peace,

James

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have played about 5 or 6 of Vadim's Basses and each one was of top notch construction and gleaming craftsmanship.the tone varied because each Bass was different but the one thing each Bass did have in common was the versatlity in obtaining strong tonal options.I think Vadim is one of the most talented Luthiers today and I give him much Respect.

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have played about 5 or 6 of Vadim's Basses and each one was of top notch construction and gleaming craftsmanship.the tone varied because each Bass was different but the one thing each Bass did have in common was the versatlity in obtaining strong tonal options.I think Vadim is one of the most talented Luthiers today and I give him much Respect.