Thick Gauge Strings on a Warmoth Slim Profile Jazz Neck?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by NickNardone, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Hey guys. I'm about to order a custom Warmoth neck for my P-bass and I have a question regarding string tension when using thick gauge strings.

My string of choice is Elixir Nickels in .50 .70 .85 .105 which I believe are considered fairly high tension strings based on their gauge.

The neck I want to order is a Warmoth Jazz style neck with their "thin profile" option and graphite stiffening rods. The neck will be maple/maple and should be pretty light weight with the graphite rods. I like super thin necks such as the Geddy Lee but I've heard issues of the Geddy needing constant truss rod adjustments when used with high tension strings.

Do you guys think this will be a troublesome setup requiring constant adjustment? Does anyone here run a Warmoth slim profile jazz neck... what are you experiences with it?

Thanks y'all!

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I doubt that you'll have issues, Fender Geddy necks are not reinforced; Warmoth necks are. Have you read Warmoth's site about the reinforcement rods? They offer the graphite but don't recommend it, they prefer the steel rods and the steel is less expensive.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    50/70/85/105 isnt that intense.
    Ive used 55/75/90/110 flats tuned to E standard on budget basses with no worries.

4. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I thought Fender USA necks are graphite reinforced?

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I briefly perused the Fender site and could find no mention of the Geddy necks being reinforced. You made me go back and double check. Every thing I see or read points to the Geddy neck being made in Mexico, though it isn't specifically mentioned. The Geddy Lee is the only bass listed on the Fender site that has the truss rod adjustment at the head stock AND is American; I'm confident that the neck comes from Mexico.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  6. Yeah, I hear you. I like the idea of the lighter weight from the graphite rods. I aim to keep my basses a slight as I can.

I think it's kind of odd that Warmoth offers that option but literally suggests against choosing it.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022