Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Things that invoke my primal rage

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BigWig Will, Nov 30, 2003.

1. 1) CDs that skip or are otherwise messed up.

2) When a CD skips during your favorite part of your favorite song.

3) People that wipe CDs with their shirts, but not as much as...

4) People that lick their fingers, wipe them on the surface of the CD and THEN wipe it with their shirts.

5) People who leave CDs out on on messy desks and balancing precariously on dusty TV tops.

6) People who borrow my CDs and do that to them.

7)When you have a rare CD that is out of print, and it starts to skip.

7) People who stack their vinyls horizontally, letting them warp.

I find my severe dislike for people who do this is similar to the reason that authors want people to use bookmarks, not just dog-ear the pages. I find it disrespectful to the artist and just plain irresponsible.

In addition, I whole-heartedly support people who only buy vinyls, as vinyl sound quality is far superior to CD sound quality. If vinyls weren't so big, and I could listen to them on the go, I'd have more of them.

2. That would be great to have a car vinyl player. I'm sure it's POSSIBLE...

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Of course it's possible...I've read a couple of books with people owning them! :p

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Except for the vinyl one, this couldn't have happened 25 years ago.

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Ten years ago (give or take), people insisted CDs were the best sounding music media you could buy. It's now 2003 and people are saying that records are superior to CDs. What the hell's going on?

Back on topic, I am irritated by people that don't take care of their CDs as well. I have discs that are years old that still look and play like new. I hate those carrying cases that people use. I carry all of my discs in their original jewel cases and if the disc is not in a player, it's in its case. Hmmph.

6. MisterNoisy

MisterNoisy

Jul 14, 2003
    Florida
    http://www.skipdoctor.com/

That, and burning copies of CDs and storing the original somewhere safe, which is my favored solution to that crap.

I don't get so pissed when it's a $.25 CD-R instead of a $13 CD.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Good calls will!

I am a heavy advocate of Vinyl as well, I once didn't use the heater at all through the winter in fear that it might warp the contents of my precious crate. :p

I am also a big supporter of computer based media. wouldbe audiophiles spare me your lectures :rolleyes:

Digital computer media, .mp3, AAC, Ogg...etc ARE the future, they sound FINE on most speakers and most headphones, and they are DAMN CONVENIENT :D

A friend of mine once designed a Back-pack turntable, but he never constructed a proto-type :p

as far as, in car, vinyl...it would be possible, but totally not worth it, you'd have to have some killer suspension AND lots of shock absorption and stabilizing, and even then if you hit an unexpected bump you're tone-arm would likely spas out and hurt both the stylus and the disc.

8. Fun fact, but I don't know how credible it is; the basis to the Motorola name comes from the record player manufacturer Victrola, and since the people at the yet-to-be-named Motorola company wanted to make a record players for cars (thus the motor part) and that Victrola was very popular, the name Motorola was born.

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Actually, there was no intention of making a record player for use in the car.....they were making car radios at the time...here's an exerpt from the Motorola website:-

"The company was founded by Paul V. Galvin as the Galvin Manufacturing Corporation, in Chicago, Illinois, in 1928. Its first product was a "battery eliminator," allowing consumers to operate radios directly from household current instead of the batteries supplied with early models. In the 1930s, the company successfully commercialized car radios under the brand name "Motorola," a word suggesting sound in motion. During this period, the company also established home radio and police radio departments; instituted pioneering personnel programs; and began national advertising. The name of the company was changed to Motorola, Inc., in 1947."

10. I guess you and I wouldn't get along too well. I do both of these all the time. But only when I notice fingerprints or the like on the surface of the disc. I wipe from the center of the disc outwards, like you're supposed to do. I've never had a problem with it. It says you can clean cd's with a "lint free cloth." I figure my t-shirts can't have that much lint on them......

11. The VERY BEST 30$ I have ever invested.
    Even the CDs that you think will never be listened because they skip so much will be fixed. But don't expect to clean 50 of your CDs are it to come out perfect each time, take your time with each CD(do it a couple of times for the real bad ones) and it'll be all good.

PS- when I say invest, I mean waste money....in teenager termonology

12. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    best quote all day!!!:bassist: