1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Think for Yourself" bass fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by whitespike, Apr 13, 2009.

1. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    It seems that most everything I can find relating to bass fuzz is aimed at the thick, more modern fuzz. What about us old-schoolers who basically ant a fuzz that sounds like an amp farting out?

I dig the bass fuzz on teh Beatles' "Think For Yourself."

What can get this sound in a pedal? For $100 hopefully...

2. Fuzz Face

Tonebender

Maestro

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    That thick "modern" fuzz is usually a type of big muff, muffs have been a round since 70's.

Try looking at pedals based on the Tonebenders Fuzzface, Bosstone, ect too many to name.

I think Paul used a REALLY early Tone bender.
    The Prescription Yardbox might be fun to look at. Stay a way from the Vox reissue [black] is you want any lows, I'm not all that up on Tonebenders my self, You might also want to give thought to building one from a kit as well.

Off the top of my head for cheap ones that "might work" that I have tried.
    MXR 108
    Seymour Duncan Tweek Fuzz
    Voodoo Lads Supperfuzz

4. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Is even such a thing as a "modern" fuzz sound? Seems like every circuit is a clone or modification of circuits that have been around for ~30 years.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Love that sound, too. It could never carry a band as the actual bass part but it's so effective in the little spots it's in. Definitely sounds Tonebender-y to me, but unless you get a bass version, the only thing you'll be using it for is to overdub your own version of "Think For Yourself" ;)

6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Or be put in a blendable looper like a Barge VFB-2 , Xotic X-Blender or a Radial Big Shot Mix Effect Loop.

7. Atomicant

Atomicant

Feb 3, 2006
    Australia
    i think the differnece in tonality has more to do with recording equipment and production rather than the equipment used, because for the most part everyone is using the same stuff.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That's a whole extra pedal. I'd much rather have the pedal do it for me, or not need it a blend at all than add a pedal that doesn't make funny noises...but that's just me ;)

9. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I'm not trying to mimmick the sound, so much as I am trying to find a comparable live sound. I know you can rarely get the exact sounds you get in the studio after the mics, pres, compressors, etc take shape.... I am basically asking for something that sounds good witht he amount of saturation turned down.... with a blend knob.
    A long time ago I used an old Big Muff, but it wasn't for bass. I found it too woofy and uncontrollable.

10. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    the difference between "modern" and "vintage" is usually in the amount of gain. At least, that's how folks use those terms today.

Which is funny because a maestro fuzz is absurdly high gain

11. xsubs

xsubs Working Class Hero Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    NYC & Corcaigh, √Čire
    Endorsing Artist: Hiwatt Amplification & Rotosound Strings
    Mk-1 tonebender according to those in the know...
    http://www.stompboxes.co.uk/History.html

You'll not find any good clones in that price range. If you're handy though schematics are available, so you can build one or have one built.

12. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Maestro's FZ models are low gain compared to the Brassmaster. Built up a clone this past weekend and didn't care for the sound. It's a two transistor circuit compared to the Brassmaster's 8 transistor circuit.

13. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    yeah well, the brassmaster is it's own animal for sure. From a bass player's perspective, it was arguably ahead of the curve - a "modern" fuzz before it's time. And basically the ONLY bass fuzz for... decades?

keep in mind that EVERYBODY used tube amps in those days, so fuzz pedals were designed with that (and, of course 6-sting geetars) in mind

14. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I can see your point but I like a layered sound for fuzz.

On the other hand, if it's funny noises you need, the Barge VFB-2 also has a feedback loop in it which can be used to misuse the pedal in the looper to make.............well.......... funny noises; with a simple Fuzz > Wah combo you can do some real cool theremin like parts with your foot while playing a bass line that comes out clean because of the blend!

15. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    This is why I made my suggestion earlier about a blend/looper, there are not many fuzzes with blends and even less that are under $100 and most of the one with blends are more of the "extreme" type.

That way you could get any fuzz pedal you like the sound of and not worry about, lows, attack ect.

16. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    That's a tricky one. The guys the Beatles worked with improvised or built a lot of the gear, and sometimes they got distortion by overdriving the mixing desk.

I think a really retro fuzz unit like a Fuzz Face might be a good first step.

17. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    DO NOT USE A BLENDER if you want a "think for yourself" sound. it is middy as heck and a 100% fuzzed signal. Turn up the bass with an EQ somewhere if you must but if you want a "vintage" sound, you're gonna have to embrace the limitations of old school fuzz and keep your low end boosting to a minimum

18. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    yeah, fuzz used be pretty much mutually exclusive of huge low end........

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL

Oh, well that's very cool...that's definitely a funny sound. Not my thing but definitely sueful for some. Never mind ;)

Lurker, we've already established McCartney used a Tonebender.

20. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    refresh our memories as to which version, because it matters