1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

think im genna make a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kitcar765, May 12, 2006.

1. i found this sexy body design here on talk bass, so this is NOT my design, i have changed it a little to better suit my tastes, and i cant remeber who's it is, so all credit MUST go to them, howeather, next year i have to design and make something, and i thought i would make a bass, i know this isnt my design, but what do you think?
    i was thinking ash body, maple neck+fretboard, and maybe two darkstar pickups, with some electrics, i think i might get an "East U-retro 01" and get longer wires for the two switches so it can fit on the possition shown, and eather a hipshot bridge or a baddass bridge, all hardware in black, and if my budget allows a hipshot d-tuner. the only problem i can see ariseing, is the neck, does anyone know of a complany that makes sorta blank neck, which can be cut to shape?

Attached Files:

2. My room mate and I make guitars from time to time. The neck is actualy not that hard. I believe Warmoth or what ever they are called sell necks, but they are kinda pricey I think. Is there a reason you don't want to make the neck?? If its the truss rod that scares you, then they are quite simple. You make the general neck shape, use a router on the front, lie a truss rod in there and then place the fretboard over the top. I think the neck is easier than doing cavities for pickups and electronics etc..

3. i have had a look at warmoth, and they also do nice body blanks and paddle headstocks, so it would make my first DIY bass pretty easy (hopefully), routing shouldent be to bad, they have a routing mashine at school, and any routing i do will be coverd with the pickguard, so hopefully that leaves me less room to make a mess of it

4. 'moth sells routed blanks as well...

Azzy, I might be able to help ya. I have a template that you might find useful, as well as some tips on how to make it look more like a bass and less like a work on MX Paint.
    PM me if interested in either.

5. heh the neck is the part that always scares me.

I still havent been able to make a neck that i feel great with. People that have played them have dug them, so thats what matters for me atm.

good luck with that bud, just make sure you save all your templates, so if something goes wrong, you have somewere to fall back on.

6. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Carvin sells both bolt-on and neckthru necks with uncut headstocks as a free option.

7. yeah had a look at the carvin, i think i preffer the warmoth blank bodys and necks, just need to figure out if they ship to the UK