1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of getting Stingray Classic. Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgravesweiner, May 10, 2011.

1. dgravesweiner

dgravesweiner

May 3, 2011
    All right so I am a hard and fast Fender American P-Bass guy and am looking to expand my tonal options and I ran across one of the new Stingray Classics. Generally I am not a fan of Stingrays due to the clickedy clackedy sound of the active pickups. However I did not hear any of that on the Classic. Anyone owning this bass if you could chime in I'd appreciate whatever input you have. Thanks

2. shastaband

shastaband Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Stingrays DO NOT have active pickups. They have passive pickups with a battery powered active pre-amp.

3. dgravesweiner

dgravesweiner

May 3, 2011
    oooops! You're right and let me ask the difference between the regular Stingrays and that Classic cos the reg ones have that sound I described and the Classic does not?

4. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
    I just got one last week. I've been a P Bass guy for 20 years and recently got a Jazz but had to do a Stingray to round out the classic trio. It really has a ballsy sound, crisp and cuts through a mix. Very different from a P Bass or Jazz but that's exactly what I wanted. Think of Paul Denman's sound with Sade or later day John Deacon with Queen or Louis Johnson for slap. The strong output seems to work very well with my pedals, in fact it's easier to dial in a low dub kind of sound through an Iron Ether Xerograph than with my other basses. I'm using DR Low Riders on the Stingray and flats on both other basses after having Low Riders on them for quite a while. I can get a wide variety of sounds now without repeating myself. Solid construction all around and don't let anyone kid you, the 2 band preamp gives a more classic Stingray tone than the new 3 bands do. A bonus are the foam mutes under each string so you can approximate a Motown sound. Get one, you'll love it. I've been trying out the newer models of Stingrays and Sterlings and none sounded as good as this one. This neck feels way more playable than the newer models too.

5. dgravesweiner

dgravesweiner

May 3, 2011
    Well I watched a vid on Youtube and I loved it and those foam mutes too! I was just seeing if I was infatuated or maybe crazy. I think not though. Thanks man that was a good kick in the booty to get one

6. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    I hear ya'.
    I have been playing Fender Jazz' and P's, but on a lower budget this time around..I am thinking of getting a Sterling Ray 34CA. The new blue(seafoam) looks great!

7. The classic basses are AMAZING. I love them, and I'm not a huge 'ray fan.

8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I got one last year. Great craftsmanship and tone. The only thing that I'd caution you about (and this might just be me) is the comfort factor. I have been so used to playing Fenders for so long that I just never felt as comfortable with the 'Ray. The main thing was the pickup. On a Jazz or a P, I like to anchor my thumb on the pickup (neck pickup on the Jazz). I do use the floating thumb, but like to anchor on the pup when playing the E string. On the Classic, there is only the one pickup, and it's back closer to the bridge. I'm not as comfortable playing back there.

If you're looking for a little variety from your P's & Jazzes, it is definitely a sweet bass. But as much as I tried to love it, I'm just more of a Fender (& Fender-style) guy. But I think I'm in the minority. Most people absolutely love the Classics. I did like it better than a "regular" 'Ray I used to have, but 'Rays in general are not my cup of tea. I love the look and love the tone. I just don't like playing them that much...

9. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    My advice: Go look at THIS.