This Can Never Happen Again

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zcastanon, May 25, 2012.

1. zcastanon

zcastanon

Apr 26, 2012
    Oly, WA
    I'm playing a gig last night and although it was a bit overkill for the size of the venue my guitarist and I both brought our full stacks. Earlier that day I had just finished restoring my '75 V4 412 and (with some advise from Johnk) put in four Deltalite 2512's. It sounds amazing but I didn't have time to test it out with the Avatar 412 and mess with the eqs before the show...such and idiot am I

Halfway through the first song I turn around and my head is vibrating off of the cab! I pushed it back a little with my head and turned the bass knob down at a rest in the song. After that I couldn't really concentrate, being too worried about the amp.

What's there to do?
    I have a Hartke LH500 and with the case I built for it it weighs in at around 50lbs. My initial response is that this wouldn't have happened if I had a much coveted SVT but that's a little ways down the road for me, financially speaking. I'm not opposed to keeping the head on the floor it just seems annoying.

Is the combined vibration of a stacked set of sealed 412's always gonna result in me freaking out mid-show?
    Would it be better to put the cabinets side by side, head on one?
    Is there something better than bungee cords which isn't a pain to install?
    Where do babies come from?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Wait, so you gig with 8X12's?

3. I've never had a problem with my amp sliding off my cab as I use a 4U rack case, but a while back I picked up a Mesa PH1200 that the original owner installed two velcro strips on the very top of the cab, and some on the bottom of the amp. I have since sold the cab and have not needed to velcro any of the cabs I own now, but I think heavy duty velcro would hold an amp down for sure.

4. Hmm, 50lb amp - maybe get some sort of stand for the amp or set it on a chair or the floor next to the two stacked 412 cabs?

5. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    get a rubbery mousepad and put it under the head case. Or a small piece of rug remnant. I use a prayer rug I got overseas to keep my LMII from wiggling about.

6. zcastanon

zcastanon

Apr 26, 2012
    Oly, WA
    sure do

Attached Files:

7. And I thought my rig was big. Nice! :D

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    That's crazy talk mate; I'm glad I'm not playing in a band that loud.
    I've never even vibrated a 4lb micro head off my rig.

Having said all that, a chunk of sound studio acoustic damping foam would likely work wonders for you.

9. Way fun. :cool:

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Foam Rubber...

BigRig.jpg

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Yep; just like the studio damping foam.
    If you're lucky, you have a chunk of workable foam in a shipping box somewhere

12. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You are my hero!

13. Gringo Starr

Gringo Starr

Apr 21, 2012
    NWI
    i don't put my heads on the top of my cabs anymore. Especially my Mesa 400+. I've been told by my tech that leaving a tube head on the top of your cab is very bad for your tubes. And I don't feel like changing out all of those 6L6's any more often than I have to, know what I mean? I've even heard that the trip back and forth to your gigs are harder on an amp than the gigs themselves.

14. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Add internal cross bracing to the cab. It should not vibrate that badly. Aside from making the amp dance the energy expended in vibrating the panels is energy that isn't coming out of the cab as sound. This is what the inside of a properly braced cab looks like:

bracing.jpg

15. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I BFM beat me to it. :) BRACE THAT RATTLE TRAP OF A CAB.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021