Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This Kid Rips

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, Feb 16, 2006.

1. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    The audio is very quiet but he seems to have a very good tone and his technique is incredible considering he looks to be about 15 years old.

He plays Run For Cover although I don't recognize those parts and plays Classical Thump (about 30 seconds of it) pretty fast and clean considering it's a Wooten piece that stumps even the best.

Right Here.

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Could hardly hear it, but I thought it was pretty cool.

3. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    It's not a comparison of "how good you are". It's about the fact that this kid looks extremely young to be playing Classical Thump that well. That honestly sounds as good and as fluid as Vic does it live (straight up bass tone be damned, of course).

I don't know what that first lick is, though. I'm just trying to give the kid some props for being a solid, but young player.

-Eric.

4. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    I'm mad. I can't do that yet.

Dude get props from me.

<.<
    >.>

COOKIES!!!!

5. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    He's good, but I really can't stand any Marcus Miller / Victor Wooten songs. I mean, they're both really great musicians, but I think they're music is really cheesy, overdone, and frankly quite boring.

6. fair enough, but his technique is still pretty, well, sub par...i still dont like wooten, or his music....marcus tho...only marcus can do it

7. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    To be fair, the term "overdone" is overdone. People copy Flea, Marcus, Wooten, Claypool, Jaco, and Geddy because they love the way they play and they've literally developed a soung and a style all their own. I don't think their is anything wrong incorporating someone else's style into your own as long as it is only a bit of it and not straight up copying. Kind of off-topic, but true IMO.

-Eric.

8. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    hmm..all i can say is that that kid..has got NOTHING on this kid. like.agh jesus i wanna hug this kid

isn't too bad

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    HOLY FRIGGIN COW! Dude is nice! Someone should send Dan Lakin this clip. That 55-01 sounds pretty good.

10. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Holy crap.

Man, this just tells me I need to work on my skills (which are nonexistant in comparison, durrr)

11. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Makes me feel bad about myself. That kid does rip.

12. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    So they can play technical exercises. w/e

Don't be so easily impressed.

13. :oops: ...id like to hear them actually play with a band....classical thump annoys me when wooten plays it....when other people play it it annoys me more...

you know, how come there arent any kids trying to play larry grahams stuff? huh, well, cmon

14. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    At this point in time Larry's stuff is considered more fundamental.I see it like this;larry graham pioneer = Louis johnson,stanley Clark next level innovator =Marcus miller,took that innovation to another level and helped set a standard for the sound = victor wooten,next logical refinement of that style.of course there were many other people within that time line but I'm just talking about guy's who were both heavily imitated and influential during that time.the guy on the video was good but i have never understood copping a whole solo note for note and playing it in public,I have transcribed many solo's and used them for ear training and practise and maybe a lick or 2 (or 5:) but never the whole thing.

15. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    That was really good! hats off too him for learning all of it.

16. still..these kids jump straight to the stanleys, wootens and marcus millers without learning the larry....you ask them to play larry, they'll add all the wootenisms and marcus millerisms....thats whats missing from today....or course larry is fundamental, he created the gosh darn technique, but still...theres all the wooten copys, but noone can play like larry

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    you know what you don't see anymore either.....

Vail Johnsonisms....

where's the love!

;)

18. i was actually listenig to says who today..justlistening to his tone makes me want an kubicki again...maybe a factor this time ;)

19. Thisperson

Thisperson

Aug 19, 2004
    Videos like this don't impress me. If the kid had wrote classical thump of course it would impress me, but the fact that he can play somone else's music isn't that amazing. I'll give it to the people in the videos for having chops, but until they start writing their own music like this it just isn't all that impressive. It's one thing to be able to play it, but to be able to write songs like this is where you will get my respect.